Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Indoors Entry List 18/19th Feb

Options
  • 14-02-2017 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/downloads/other/Entries_Publication_140217_(2).pdf

Interesting to see Robinson down for the 1500, hopefully over the wordt of his injury woes from the last 2 years.

400m and a surprise addition (for me anyway as I missed this one) is Luke Lennon-Ford a 3 time member of the UK World Indoor 4x400m medalist teams (2010, 2012, 2014) who if he is near his 2012 PB shape should be the favourite over Gregan, Kervick and Morrissey.

Phil Healy nailing her flag to the mast with a 400m as opts to go head to head against Sinead Denny (who achieved European Standard last weekend 0.05 seconds faster than Healy) over head to head with Ciara Neville who equaled Anna Boyles National Senior indoor record over the 60m last month

Healy Currently stands #2 in 60m (European Qualifier) #1 in 200m (no 200 at Europeans) and #2 in 400m (0.03 off Euro Q) on the Irish list this year.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Timetable here - guess it may change I wonder will there be 1500 heats or no? Was none in ladies last year despite a bigger entry list ...http://www.athleticsireland.ie/downloads/events-timetable/Senior_Timetable_2017_indoor.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

So with nationals you can be from any country so long as you're a member of a club here is it? What would like have to gain coming over here and winning the 400m?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

IvoryTower wrote: »
    So with nationals you can be from any country so long as you're a member of a club here is it? What would like have to gain coming over here and winning the 400m?

you can win but you can't be the champion, as far as I can see (p9)
    Title Holder
    An athlete is a holder of, or eligible to hold, an Irish Passport, and is affiliated to an
    Or
    Ordinarily resides on the island of Ireland, is a member of an affiliated club on the island of Ireland

I assume that first bit should end "affiliated to an Irish club"

Okay,do you win money? It seems strange does it not? Someone in clonliffe has some money maybe to lure him over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Okay,do you win money? It seems strange does it not? Someone in clonliffe has some money maybe to lure him over?

Morrisey trains in London, as did Gregan for a time. Clonliffe have seen this happen in the past with Josephat Boit winning 10k at Nationals years back for Clonliffe after travelling with training partner at the time Alistair Cragg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Is there much of a viewing area at the arena?

Is there much of a viewing area at the arena?

Yep, one whole side has seating and the other 2 corners have seating, perfect view from all of them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I noticed that the online entry is still open on the AAI website. Would they still accept late entries? Moira Aston is out of office till Monday.

YFlyer wrote: »
    I noticed that the online entry is still open on the AAI website. Would they still accept late entries? Moira Aston is out of office till Monday.

Quite possibly yes. Lot of the top end will wait till last min to decide so id say its left open quietly. even on weekend , its only very near race time that you find if heats will run in some events, depending on who checks in, bit of a pain if travelling ..

youngrun wrote: »
    Quite possibly yes. Lot of the top end will wait till last min to decide so id say its left open quietly. even on weekend , its only very near race time that you find if heats will run in some events, depending on who checks in, bit of a pain if travelling ..

Thanks. One of the sprinters contacted me lastnight about entering. I may take the chance and enter him.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭curtisbrown

Any live stream?

Straight final for the women 1500m?

YFlyer wrote: »
    Straight final for the women 1500m?

yes. only 12 of 19 down for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Thought Nationals was pretty decent today, better than I expected it to be, given some of the fields were not as strong as they could have been.

Gregan looked very impressive in the 400m, and looks like he is coming back into good form, and could threaten a final place in Belgrade.

The women's 400m was the most anticipated head to head in the championships. Phil Healy and Sinead Denny have had serious epics against each other in recent times. Denny winning National outdoors, and Healy hanging on at AAI Games 2 weeks ago, on both occasions going out way too fast, and dying horribly in the closing stages. Today for the first time, she really looked like a 400m runner, got her tactics spot on, and actually marginally pulled away from Sinead in the second lap. Hopefully we see both in the 400 in Belgrade.

Didn't expect much in the 800s given the women's fields was fairly weak, and the Men's was without English, but they ended up being very enjoyable races. The women's race was particularly soft, but it was a true run race, with the top 2 running right on their PBs, which is far more exciting than seeing the typical jog for half, then 400m burnup that we often see. The men's race was exciting too, and Kieran Kelly's great dedication has been rewarded with his first national title at 28.

Travers and Robinson's 1500 battle made for great viewing, though the result looked a bit inevitable once Travers hit the straight so close to Robinson. Paul not quite back at his best, but great to see him back running and healthy.

Women's sprinting has the most exciting talent coming through. Ciara Neville, Molly Scott, Sharlene Mawdsley among others are doing great things for women's sprinting, and are the future of the sport. Actually don't think Neville ran particularly well today, and to the naked eye I didn't think she won, but the camera doesn't lie. Surprised she had a 0.02 margin. It looked closer than that.

Thought the hurdles weren't all that noteworthy, other than Elizabeth Moreland getting her first national title, another great talent, but in multi-eventing is where that talent really lies.

Not sure how I feel about Luke Lennon Ford and Leon Reid switching to Ireland. It's not on the same level as what the Turks are doing, and it's more likely they came to us, rather than other way around, and you can't blame an athlete for trying to find a way to make a major championships, but it will take longer to warm to them in Irish singlets.

Great seeing Kate Veale back in the walk. Time not all that fast, but she's in a discipline where older people excel so plenty of time for her yet as she's still very young.

There wasn't really all that much that stuck out in the field events, with the exception of an excellent national junior equalling performance by Sommer Lecky in the High Jump, equalling Deirdre Ryan's 1.81m.

Atmosphere was a bit flat I thought. Not sure what the answer is to that though. Meet was very well organised though, with the exception of the very cramped warm up area. That needs to be sorted out for next year. They had stands covering the permanent warm up track, and so put in a small makeshift one elsewhere.

Thought it was hugely disrespectful of the crowd to leave as soon as the men's 200m was over. There were still 5 athletes who had 1 jump remaining in the women's triple jump. It just shows how little the athletics community in Ireland cares about these events. Saragh Buggy deserved the same treatment as our other national champions.

Overall, an enjoyable weekend from a spectating point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Thought Nationals was pretty decent today, better than I expected it to be, given some of the fields were not as strong as they could have been.

Gregan looked very impressive in the 400m, and looks like he is coming back into good form, and could threaten a final place in Belgrade.

The women's 400m was the most anticipated head to head in the championships. Phil Healy and Sinead Denny have had serious epics against each other in recent times. Denny winning National outdoors, and Healy hanging on at AAI Games 2 weeks ago, on both occasions going out way too fast, and dying horribly in the closing stages. Today for the first time, she really looked like a 400m runner, got her tactics spot on, and actually marginally pulled away from Sinead in the second lap. Hopefully we see both in the 400 in Belgrade.

Didn't expect much in the 800s given the women's fields was fairly weak, and the Men's was without English, but they ended up being very enjoyable races. The women's race was particularly soft, but it was a true run race, with the top 2 running right on their PBs, which is far more exciting than seeing the typical jog for half, then 400m burnup that we often see. The men's race was exciting too, and Kieran Kelly's great dedication has been rewarded with his first national title at 28.

Travers and Robinson's 1500 battle made for great viewing, though the result looked a bit inevitable once Travers hit the straight so close to Robinson. Paul not quite back at his best, but great to see him back running and healthy.

Women's sprinting has the most exciting talent coming through. Ciara Neville, Molly Scott, Sharlene Mawdsley among others are doing great things for women's sprinting, and are the future of the sport. Actually don't think Neville ran particularly well today, and to the naked eye I didn't think she won, but the camera doesn't lie. Surprised she had a 0.02 margin. It looked closer than that.

Thought the hurdles weren't all that noteworthy, other than Elizabeth Moreland getting her first national title, another great talent, but in multi-eventing is where that talent really lies.

Not sure how I feel about Luke Lennon Ford and Leon Reid switching to Ireland. It's not on the same level as what the Turks are doing, and it's more likely they came to us, rather than other way around, and you can't blame an athlete for trying to find a way to make a major championships, but it will take longer to warm to them in Irish singlets.

Great seeing Kate Veale back in the walk. Time not all that fast, but she's in a discipline where older people excel so plenty of time for her yet as she's still very young.

There wasn't really all that much that stuck out in the field events, with the exception of an excellent national junior equalling performance by Sommer Lecky in the High Jump, equalling Deirdre Ryan's 1.81m.

Atmosphere was a bit flat I thought. Not sure what the answer is to that though. Meet was very well organised though, with the exception of the very cramped warm up area. That needs to be sorted out for next year. They had stands covering the permanent warm up track, and so put in a small makeshift one elsewhere.

Thought it was hugely disrespectful of the crowd to leave as soon as the men's 200m was over. There were still 5 athletes who had 1 jump remaining in the women's triple jump. It just shows how little the athletics community in Ireland cares about these events. Saragh Buggy deserved the same treatment as our other national champions.

Good report.

It doesn't really matter what sport it is, people always leave early. Ireland and the UK very similar that way. Never understand it though, you paid for the full thing. Same happened in Athlone, alot left before 60m finals.

Agree some great races in mid distance and in the ladies 60 also . Saturdays 3000m was stacked as well. Way too warm in the arena Saturday I was baking just sitting down watching, definitely affected a few of the girls in the 3k from talking to them after.
    Times seem a little bit slower than AIT in general is that the track or heat or will it come ?
    A scoreboard on screen for the field events would be nice to have. young Kelly in the Shot is one to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

And is still a Junior for the next 2 years so would be expecting her to break the 1.81.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

youngrun wrote: »
    Agree some great races in mid distance and in the ladies 60 also . Saturdays 3000m was stacked as well. Way too warm in the arena Saturday I was baking just sitting down watching, definitely affected a few of the girls in the 3k from talking to them after.
    Times seem a little bit slower than AIT in general is that the track or heat or will it come ?
    A scoreboard on screen for the field events would be nice to have. young Kelly in the Shot is one to watch.

Have to say I found it the opposite. It's not as warm as Athlone, though the warm up area was ridiculously warm. Regarding the speed of the track, it's probably pretty much the same. They are both mondo surfaces. Any difference either way would be negligable, and more down to what form certain athletes were in at various times, than the actual track itself.

For anyone interested I did up a report detailing my experience competing in these championships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,686 ✭✭✭✭walshb

That 60 meters women's final should have been given a dead heat. It was too close....How did the winner have 2/100s clearance of the other two? They being given the same time....

Advertisement