Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a wood-framed painting to ireland from China

Options
  • 14-02-2017 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭

Might be wrong forum, if so aplolgies

I bought a wood framed painting when in China. There was an option to take just the painting but the frame really suited the piece etc. However the Post Office said they could not post timber out. I also asked 1 courier company and they said they could carry out of China but that Irelan Customs would stop it as timber

I am not sure this is right - it seems from the small readign i did it is only untreated packagine timber etc that has regulations not a stained wooden frame

Would any one have any suggestion where i could get confirmation ?

A suggestion was made to take it to a steam treatment place and get a cert ec - but seems such a complicated route. this is not a valuable Artwork or anthing just a painting i liked at a market

In sort - any one any experience or kno0wledge of gettign a cheap wood framed painting from China to ireland ( was slightly to large to fit in luggage which apparently would have been no problem)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Customs (actually, perhaps Department of Agriculture) will want preservative, not a wood stain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Not a legal issue really and not entirely sure where this thread should go. Now moved to the Online buying and auctions forum, in any event.

I hope that you find your answers here.

Please note their charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just courier it.

DMC will look at it for VAT purposes, unless theres obvious signs of life (woodlice, maggots, flies etc) its very very unlikely that they'll refer it to their agri colleagues.

You will pay tax on it as shipping alone will get you over €26 I suspect.

Advertisement