Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER cert and air tightness test

Options
  • 14-02-2017 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi everyone,
    Just looking for anyone who has completed a new build and got BER and air tightness certs...how much did ye pay? Got a quote for over 500euro last week, thought it sounded expensive. Also is the air tightness test necessary? i put in an air tightness membrane but just because i built facing the Atlantic up on a bit of height,no heat recovery needed.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

An air-tightness test is definitely needed because you will need to prove that your house meets the air-tightness value that was used by your designer in the DEAP calculation that proves your house complies with the regulations.

I've heard of people paying approx. €400 for the test but I'd say €500 is more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,284 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

i put in an air tightness membrane but just because i built facing the Atlantic up on a bit of height,no heat recovery needed.

Op, can you help me with the logic and science behind this decision making?
    Thanks.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi everyone,
    Just looking for anyone who has completed a new build and got BER and air tightness certs...how much did ye pay? Got a quote for over 500euro last week, thought it sounded expensive. Also is the air tightness test necessary? i put in an air tightness membrane but just because i built facing the Atlantic up on a bit of height,no heat recovery needed.

Thanks in advance.
    An air-tightness test is definitely needed because you will need to prove that your house meets the air-tightness value that was used by your designer in the DEAP calculation that proves your house complies with the regulations.

I've heard of people paying approx. €400 for the test but I'd say €500 is more realistic.

No point even adding to MT's post as it's spot on but just to clarify, yes it's 100% required as is a sound test if attached to another property.

Advertisement