Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gallbladder removal

Options
  • 14-02-2017 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hello All,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place (feel free to move it mods).
    I was in the hospital recently, over severe pain (upper abdominal) and was diagnosed with Gallstones. Turns out that I have to have surgery in a few weeks time to remove my Gallbladder.

I am actually quite nervous about getting this done, and after reading a ton of horror stories on the internet, I can say that I am not looking forward to going through all the pain that comes along with getting this surgery done. However, I would still rather have it removed and be done with.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has had their gallbladder removed and how they found it afterwards? I am also not sure what foods to avoid-it's weird but the doctor gave me no information about foods? So any information or feedback would be welcomed. I know that I have to stay away from fatty and spicy foods, that may trigger a gallbladder attack, but are there any other foods that I need to stay away from? How soon after the operation were you able to get back to normality?

Again, any info would be welcomed thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 joefromireland

Sapphire3 wrote: »
    Hello All,

I was in the hospital recently, over severe pain (upper abdominal) and was diagnosed with Gallstones. Turns out that I have to have surgery in a few weeks time to remove my Gallbladder.

I am actually quite nervous about getting this done, and after reading a ton of horror stories on the internet, I can say that I am not looking forward to going through all the pain that comes along with getting this surgery done. However, I would still rather have it removed and be done with.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has had their gallbladder removed and how they found it afterwards? I am also not sure what foods to avoid-it's weird but the doctor gave me no information about foods? So any information or feedback would be welcomed. I know that I have to stay away from fatty and spicy foods, that may trigger a gallbladder attack, but are there any other foods that I need to stay away from? How soon after the operation were you able to get back to normality?

Have a look at what this doctor has to say

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2002nl/apr/gallbladder.htm

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2002nl/may/diewithyourgallstones.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 20 phd

I had my gallbladder removed late last year. I was back to normal about three weeks later. Eat little and often in the days after the surgery - avoid full sized meals for a week or so. I found dairy to be bad for me but I can have it again now without issue. Large meals are the only thing I would avoid now. I went home the same day of the surgery but my husband worked from home for a week to help me out as necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I had mine out a few years ago. Piece of cake. Keyhole surgery. Home next day.

I was back at work 3 days later, not a bother. No side effects afterwards, can eat anything.

You've to fast the day before i think... no water even. That was hard going, the no water part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭PGE1970

I had mine out a few years ago. Piece of cake. Keyhole surgery. Home next day.

I was back at work 3 days later, not a bother. No side effects afterwards, can eat anything.

You've to fast the day before i think... no water even. That was hard going, the no water part.

+1 - I enjoyed a week off work and a pain free future. Keyhole surgery. No problem at all.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Wife had hers out a few years ago - as above keyhole so handy enough.

She lost a fair bit of weight but I'm not sure if that was before or after the surgery.

She'd avoid eating too much red meat but is fine with it in moderation - same as everything else really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Cork2015!

Sapphire3 wrote: »
    Hello All,

EGGS!!!!!!!!!!

I can tell you from experience, if you eat an egg while waiting for galbladder surgery you will pay a heavy heavy price

That is the only food that I can remember kicked off the attacks for me

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Sapphire3

Thanks everyone for your replies, much appreciated. Glad to know that I will be back to normal pretty soon after the op.
    Yeah, I seem to be losing weight for some reason, but that could be due to avoiding certain foods. I was overweight anyway, so I cannot really complain about that.

I will definitely stay away from the eggs, anyone I know that had gallbladder problems had a ton of trouble with these.
    So thanks for the warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

The pain after surgery will be a doddle in conparison to a gallbladder attach !!!
    A friend had hers out recently, keyhole. She asked the surgical nurses to ensure to push the air inserted during surgery, out. This can get trapped, and give you an awful pain up to your shoulder after the op. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Hi OP,

I had my gallbladder removed seven years ago and it was no trouble.
    I remember the pain of gallbladder attacks so well; the worst pain imaginable.

For me, triggers were fatty foods, fried foods and coffee!
    I would avoid these like the plague.
    They would give me gallbladder attacks that would last hours. I thought I was dying. Then I'd throw up and the pain would disappear.

You might think coffee is a weird one but after Googling it, it isn't that uncommon after all.

The surgery was done via keyhole; it was over fairly quickly. I didn't eat very much in the days after, just light foods like soup and toast.
    I did have a pain in my shoulder area because of the gas/air they used during the surgery, but it was tolerable.

I had staples in my surgical wounds which were a little tender but just be careful and you'll be ok.
    They were removed two weeks later and though a little stinging as they were being removed, it was nothing really.
    As for after surgery..

Well I can eat pretty much anything BUT I can't eat things like chipper chips or anything deep fried as it gives me awful stomach cramps and diarrhoea.

Apart from that, I can eat everything else and having the surgery was a breeze. I wish you the best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Gallbladder surgery was a doddle. Not a problem afterwards.
    FYI to survive until surgery and not get a gallbladder attack the KEY is to eat meals with 3g or less of FAT. That actually stops any gallbladder attacks. Eat anymore fat than this and gallbladder will go mad and you'll be in pain again.
    Chicken will become your best food friend....
    Looking for a biscuit to go with the tea? I recommend Marietta... low in fat, so you can have 2 I think, and make sure you have low or skim milk in the tea. Little tweaks makes it easier.

Gallstones are the most effective way of losing weight! The pain is a defo barrier to stop you gorging on food! So make the most of it while you can to change your eating habits! I lost 2 stone in 2 months before I got the gallbladder surgery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement