Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a market for older CBM 64 game cassettes?

Options
  • 13-02-2017 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

I have quite a few old Commodore 64 game cassettes, including Pitfall II, Booty and Choplifter, these are circa 1982 and 1984. Is there a market for these games? Not looking to get rich or anything (:P) but with all the emulators out there I'm just wondering is there a home for the original game cassettes and cover cases?

I also have games like Bombjack, Paperboy, Double Dragon II, Barbarian II amongst others. :) Happy, happy days, truly the happiest of my life!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I have quite a few old Commodore 64 game cassettes, including Pitfall II, Booty and Choplifter, these are circa 1982 and 1984. Is there a market for these games? Not looking to get rich or anything (:P) but with all the emulators out there I'm just wondering is there a home for the original game cassettes and cover cases?

I also have games like Bombjack, Paperboy, Double Dragon II, Barbarian II amongst others. :) Happy, happy days, truly the happiest of my life!

If it's anything like Spectrum collectors, then there absolutely is a market for original games. Asking on commodore faceache groups should steer you where to sell. Or ebay them.

Even though you can load games on original hardware via the wonders of new deelies and gizmos downloading every game imaginable from the Internet, or as you say, playing them on emulators, people still want original games.

I am trying to buy back all the Spectrum games I had as a child, some collectors will want EVERY different variant (cover, colour of tape, label etc) of every game, some collect certain publishers (ocean, Imagine Ultimate ptg etc) and others just want to buy every game ever made.

Couple of the dizzy games go for 100 sterling or more on Spectrum and don't doubt there's similar must haves for the commodore.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Thanks for that. I just didn't want to dump them and I know I won't get to play them again. I do make use of emulators from time to time myself but I did think there would be people out there who might want such games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Don't think that is gonna happen, didn't reach the funding targets and since its flexible funding they get to keep the lot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bolshevik Barry

I have about 14 old commodore 64 games that my brother once owned. Dizzy series, minesweeper, Emlyn Hughes soccer etc. Proper orignial tapes. No value?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Really? :eek:

I binned a load of this stuff a year ago after clearing out a spare room.

Even found some early ZZap 64 magazines amongst it.

Don't think that is gonna happen, didn't reach the funding targets and since its flexible funding they get to keep the lot :)

It is looking slightly iffy. I think the board will get made, just not sure the keyboard/handheld will.
    I have about 14 old commodore 64 games that my brother once owned. Dizzy series, minesweeper, Emlyn Hughes soccer etc. Proper orignial tapes. No value?

There's a value to everything (well almost). There was a shed load of dizzy games made, most worth a pound, couple worth over 100. (this is for the Spectrum, could be different with the c64). Same will all collecting, value is in completeness, condition, rarity as well as good dollop of sentimentality.
    Steve wrote: »
    Really? :eek:

I binned a load of this stuff a year ago after clearing out a spare room.

Even found some early ZZap 64 magazines amongst it.

Old spectrum mags, in decent nick would get a couple of pounds each, some more.

I skipped about 20 adventure games by zenobi for my spectrum when I moved house 15 years ago, some of them would be 20 plus pounds each now. Not a fortune but still kick myself over it, not only the money side, but that I threw them away. I'd love to have them back, to keep.

Just reading something today about a game called sly spy for the Spectrum got sold for over 250 pounds. :eek:

(sorry I say all the values in pounds but that's where I see the sales). I don't know if most people would bother to sell things for a pound (or euro) here or there though, too much hassle maybe, but it'd be a shame to bin stuff.

Edit: I would add, collecting for the old 8 bit computers is probably considerably cheaper (different ballpark) on the whole, than nes or snes collecting for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Put them on the Arcade and Retro marketplace, I'm always after C64 games :)

eddhorse wrote: »

Do you have a breadbin edd? Always loved the style of them, great looking machines.

I'm still waiting for a huge influx of Spectrum games to appear on the marketplace! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

eddhorse wrote: »

Do you have a breadbin edd? Always loved the style of them, great looking machines.

I'm still waiting for a huge influx of Spectrum games to appear on the marketplace! :)

Yeah i have the breadbin C64 and the breadbin Vic-20 and the newer looking C64C.
    Be nice to get a full collection of C64 or Speccy alright but more doable for Atari or Intellivision or Vectrex.

• Advertisement
Advertisement