Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicus dermatoligist?

Options
  • 13-02-2017 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭

Hi all

For over a year now I have been having issues where i have a rash around my nose and moustache area.

It leave me with bright pinkish inflamed sores and it seems to be that the hair folicles are blocked.

One doctor suggested it could be foliculitus and ive been to another doctor 3 times now. He prescribed two different sets of tablets and creams but none has helped to get rid of it.

The doctor last mentioned if it doesnt clear up that i would best see a dermatologist.

I dont fancy waiting months and paying even more to see one in more well known private clinics and I reckon it would likely be nearly a year before i could be seen going public.

I came across medicus, which dont require any deferral letter, can see me sunday and only €100 plus a further €54 if i want a swab test done of the affected areas.

http://medicus.ie/

Has anyone any experience of dermatologists at medicus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Arbie

lightspeed wrote: »
    Hi all

For over a year now I have been having issues where i have a rash around my nose and moustache area.

It leave me with bright pinkish inflamed sores and it seems to be that the hair folicles are blocked.

One doctor suggested it could be foliculitus and ive been to another doctor 3 times now. He prescribed two different sets of tablets and creams but none has helped to get rid of it.

The doctor last mentioned if it doesnt clear up that i would best see a dermatologist.

I dont fancy waiting months and paying even more to see one in more well known private clinics and I reckon it would likely be nearly a year before i could be seen going public.

I came across medicus, which dont require any deferral letter, can see me sunday and only €100 plus a further €54 if i want a swab test done of the affected areas.

http://medicus.ie/

Has anyone any experience of dermatologists at medicus?

I don't see any dermatologists listed on their website. They do list one GP with a special interest in dermatology, but that isn't the same thing as a consultant dermatologist who will have 5+ years of training purely in dermatology. €100 is very pricey to see a GP. A private visit to a consultant dermatologist wouldn't be much more and you wouldn't be waiting too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Arbie wrote: »
    I don't see any dermatologists listed on their website. They do list one GP with a special interest in dermatology, but that isn't the same thing as a consultant dermatologist who will have 5+ years of training purely in dermatology. €100 is very pricey to see a GP. A private visit to a consultant dermatologist wouldn't be much more and you wouldn't be waiting too long.

Define "would'nt be waiting too long"?

Like how long would you reckon?

i thinking if i go to dermatologist in say blackrock for example, it will cost double and they will likely do the same thing, as in that they will take a swab of the affected area and send for testing.

I rang blackrock clinic looking for an appointment with Wendy Lynch as i have read good things about her.

Receptionist said i would need to get a deferral letter, send it into them and they would review it. They said they done set an appointment date depending on how serious the issue mentioned in the letter and it would be a few months but couldnt give any indication how many. I got the impression it would be more than 2-3 month wait.

Medicus will do the same thing and charge €54.

If the doctor in medicus can get a swab test done and identify whatever bacteria or fungal virus is causing the problem, im thinking they should be able to treat it at that point as good as any other dermatologist.

I would consider going the standard route but dont fancy waiting half a year for an appointment if can help it.

Define "would'nt be waiting too long"?

Like how long would you reckon?

i thinking if i go to dermatologist in say blackrock for example, it will cost double and they will likely do the same thing, as in that they will take a swab of the affected area and send for testing.

I rang blackrock clinic looking for an appointment with Wendy Lynch as i have read good things about her.

Receptionist said i would need to get a deferral letter, send it into them and they would review it. They said they done set an appointment date depending on how serious the issue mentioned in the letter and it would be a few months but couldnt give any indication how many. I got the impression it would be more than 2-3 month wait.

Medicus will do the same thing and charge €54.

If the doctor in medicus can get a swab test done and identify whatever bacteria or fungal virus is causing the problem, im thinking they should be able to treat it at that point as good as any other dermatologist.

I would consider going the standard route but dont fancy waiting half a year for an appointment if can help it.

There are several dermatologists with private practices who have waiting lists of a month or so, but you would have to contact them directly to check.
    One doctor suggested it could be foliculitus and ive been to another doctor 3 times now.

If you have already seen other GPs at least 4 times, why would you go to another GP at Medicus? If you are looking for a GP opinion and a swab then the other GPs you've attended can surely do that for less than the €154 that Medicus will charge. I would prefer to see a consultant dermatologist and get it sorted definitively.

There are several dermatologists with private practices who have waiting lists of a month or so, but you would have to contact them directly to check.

If you have already seen other GPs at least 4 times, why would you go to another GP at Medicus? If you are looking for a GP opinion and a swab then the other GPs you've attended can surely do that for less than the €154 that Medicus will charge. I would prefer to see a consultant dermatologist and get it sorted definitively.

It was my local GP who last mentioned if the batch of medication he gave me doesnt work, the next option would be to go to a dematologist to get them to take a swab of the area. So pretty sure that is not something my local GP can or will do.

It frustrates me further that I will only know the appointment date after i get referral letter and send it in.

So if I send referral letter say to blackrock clinic for example and they come back with a date six months from now, its not like i can then go elsewhere as it would mean trying to get a new referral letter which im not sure if doctor would even do and even more expense either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

You do not need to see a dermatologist for a simple swab. A GP can do this for you as part of a consultation for no extra fee.

• Advertisement

Wesser wrote: »
    You do not need to see a dermatologist for a simple swab. A GP can do this for you as part of a consultation for no extra fee.

Apologies but i think im mixing up my terminology.

When i say swab, its actually a skin culture im referring to which i think is exactly what my local GP said i would be able to get from a dermatologist.

If i dont want to go public given the large wait times, how can i find best private option?

Are they any privately available dermatologists that anyone could recommend?

If i get a referal letter from my local GP, can it be a general referral for any doctor ? Like can i send it to mater private and wait until an appointment is available with any dermatologist there or do i need to know what dermatologist i want to see and have the referral letter made only to him/her?

I have read some positive comments about some but most seem to be public hospitals such as those in St James Hospital etc and i dont want to wait a year or more to be seen.

It was my local GP who last mentioned if the batch of medication he gave me doesnt work, the next option would be to go to a dematologist to get them to take a swab of the area. So pretty sure that is not something my local GP can or will do.

It frustrates me further that I will only know the appointment date after i get referral letter and send it in.

So if I send referral letter say to blackrock clinic for example and they come back with a date six months from now, its not like i can then go elsewhere as it would mean trying to get a new referral letter which im not sure if doctor would even do and even more expense either way.

Swabs are a basic test that GPs do on a daily basis.

You just need a single referral letter which you can use for as many different private dermatologist appointments as you like, just photocopy it.

Regardless, if you're looking for a dermatologist then Medicus don't seem to have one on staff.

Swabs are a basic test that GPs do on a daily basis.

You just need a single referral letter which you can use for as many different private dermatologist appointments as you like, just photocopy it.

Regardless, if you're looking for a dermatologist then Medicus don't seem to have one on staff.

Thanks for your help. It would seem you are correct.

I was wondering how it was that they could see me without a referral letter. The guy on the phone spoke very broken english and said it was because they were a private clinic.

It looks more like its that they dont have a dermatologist and its just a GP. I would assume its not legal for them to represent that they have a dermatologist available when she is just a GP.

When i spoke to them on the phone i asked for a dermatologist and they said she is available 4 dates throughout the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Maybe it's a biopsy that you mean?

Just ring around a few of the private hospitals and ask for the shortest wait for an appointment. Then work out which one is the quickest. Then call your GP and request then to refer you. Don't waste more time and money on someone with broken English.

Advertisement