Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell xps L502x spilt liquid, keyboard sound not working

Options
  • 13-02-2017 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

herself spilt tea on my laptop and now I have a problem with the sound and the keyboard doesn't respond at.

So once the tea was spilt I turned the laptop off, removed the battery (I put it in a bag of rice), removed the front cover, took out the ssd, took off the keyboard, checked the ram and anything else I could get to. I dried any tea I could see and checked things like the ram section.

I then left the laptop off and turned upside down to dry for 36 hours or so.

When I put everything back together it mostly worked. Some keys were unresponsive and the laptop thought that headphones were connected when they weren't.

So I disassembled everything again. Removed the keyboard fully and cleaned it with alcohol wipes. Left it for another 24 or so hours and put everything back together.

Now my keyboard is completely unresponsive.

I guess the obvious thing would be that I damaged the keyboard. But I don't think I did. It is a pretty easy keyboard to remove [see image below] and I have a bit of experience doing things like this.

OJ9ykAX.jpg

I wonder is it possible to short the keyboard somehow?

If I missed moisture on the motherboard and something is damaged there is it repairable?

Would replacing the keyboard be a waste of time, or is there a way to test for this?

Is more corrosion / damage likely now?

I'm out of warranty. I can plug in an external keyboard and will back things up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I think that those connectors are to be pressed further into those system board sockets. Usually they go as far as the white line meeting the tip of the locking latch.

If needs be, the replacement laptop keyboards are fairly low cost and new from ebay. Have to be for that model of laptop, and a UK/Ireland key layout. Not azerty or other key setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

You could also try cleaning the contact side of that ribbon cable with an IPA wipe and use contact cleaner to spray the motherboard connector.

Ken

Advertisement