Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into leaving cert without sitting junior.

Options
  • 13-02-2017 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Can anyone point me towards a proper source saying the junior cert is required to sit the leaving cert? (Or not, as the case may be) I've spent time on examinations.ie and citizen's advice bureau and can't find anything official.
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

snusie wrote: »
    Can anyone point me towards a proper source saying the junior cert is required to sit the leaving cert? (Or not, as the case may be) I've spent time on examinations.ie and citizen's advice bureau and can't find anything official.
    Thanks in advance!

I don't think it is a requirement tbh. I think the only rule is that if you do sit your Junior Cert, you've to wait two years until you can sit a Leaving Cert exam.

I'm nearly certain I've heard of people going back to do their Leaving Certs having left school at 13 or whatever, so I'd assume they didn't have a Junior Cert done.

I'd advise you to email a Further Education college where they teach adult Leaving cert classes even if you don't attend to go there. They'd know for sure what the situation is as they've definitely dealt with it before!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 snusie

Thanks for your reply, I'll get in contact with a cfe so!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Definitely, there is no requirement on the part of the SEC for an LC candidate to have sat the JC.

Schools may set their own rules in house of course, so it may be a school rule that to progress to LC, you need JC, but the SEC does not care.

Advertisement