Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Living on a Sailboat in Cork

Options
  • 13-02-2017 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone lives on a boat in Cork, or knows someone who does? I'm looking into living on a yacht as near to the city as possible (so maybe even in the harbour or on the river, although I'm sure the harbour would be a no-go). I've applied for a mooring position but haven't heard back yet. I'm not sure if it's allowed or how much it costs, so if anyone has a clue I'd love to hear from ye! That's be a great help, cheers.

Conor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

I cant say i know anyone that does, I think perhaps there is someone in Crosshaven who does thats it.. Id say tis all about who you know in the harbour maybe regarding getting answers, they can be a real closed community there.. Have you tried contacting Doyle shipping maybe, get him on a good day and he might be able to help..

That or you could try Monkstown but it is a little out of the City

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Do you have a yacht? Is it set up for shore power/waste management?

If you take a mooring will you have space to store a punt? Will you keep a car there?

I'd guess it'll only work with proper berthing facilities, so somewhere like the boatyard in Crosshaven or East Ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd ask in the sailing and boating forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Malonruil

deRanged,

I have a yacht lined up and the money to buy and maintain it. I have a punt, no car, and wouldn't be mooring somewhere with berthing facilities (marina toilets, electricity, internet) as I'd pay through the nose for what can be achieved with an on-board toilet, solar panels and my phone internet for next to nothing beyond the initial investment.

Milly 33, Thank you! I might do that so.

the beer revolu, I have asked this question in the sailing and boating forum as well as asking it here, because I'm specifically asking about living in Cork, it's not a broad question about boat life in general. Thank you for replying, if anyone else knows anything that might be important let me know! Thanks a million guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

ok - mooring only.
    That may cause you issues with insurance, lots of policies won't cover winter on the water.

You'll probably need to head somewhere like Drakes pool or Ballinacurra to have some shelter. You wouldn't want to be out the back of Spike or in Lough Mahon.

Watch out for a south easterly :)

Fresh water - you'll bring it on the punt? That'll get boring fast, but you'll have plenty of exercise rowing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement