Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance cancelled by company

Options
  • 13-02-2017 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭

Hi

My insurance company (former!) emailed to say they have cancelled my policy due to failure to suppy proof of no claims bonus.

I paid the premium for 12 months in full so how much of this should I expect to be refunded and how long is it likely to take? The policy was cancelled after one month.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

If you signed a proposal form saying you had a no claim bonus and didn't have one, then the insurance would have been invalidated anyhow...though that would be the action of an idiot, which of course, you aren't, are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

rgace wrote: »
    Hi

My insurance company (former!) emailed to say they have cancelled my policy due to failure to suppy proof of no claims bonus.

I paid the premium for 12 months in full so how much of this should I expect to be refunded and how long is it likely to take? The policy was cancelled after one month.
    Thanks

They have probably cancelled you ab inito which basically means they have cancelled it from inception date and the policy has as far as they are concerned, never existed. On that basis they are obliged to give you back the full premium paid minus the cancellation / admin fee.

You have to declare this cancellation to every insurer going forward which is likely going to cause you alot of problems.

One thing that I'm concerned about is how they cancelled it. Your insurer legally cannot cancel your policy with an email.

A force cancellation has to be sent to the customer via registered post.

They are also legally obliged to give you 10 days notice ie if they issue a letter on the 10th then they have to cover you until the 20th. The cover they will provide is RTA only (minimum legal requirement to be in a public place).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

Rod Munch wrote: »
    They have probably cancelled you ab inito which basically means they have cancelled it from inception date and the policy has as far as they are concerned, never existed. On that basis they are obliged to give you back the full premium paid minus the cancellation / admin fee.

You have to declare this cancellation to every insurer going forward which is likely going to cause you alot of problems.

One thing that I'm concerned about is how they cancelled it. Your insurer legally cannot cancel your policy with an email.

A force cancellation has to be sent to the customer via registered post.

They are also legally obliged to give you 10 days notice ie if they issue a letter on the 10th then they have to cover you until the 20th. The cover they will provide is RTA only (minimum legal requirement to be in a public place).

They sent me a forced cancellation email saying the policy has been cancelled from the 10/2 and today sent me a "one off letter" via email stating my notice of cancellation was returned to them by An Post.

I will give them a call later and see if I can sort if out, thanks

exaisle wrote: »
    If you signed a proposal form saying you had a no claim bonus and didn't have one, then the insurance would have been invalidated anyhow...though that would be the action of an idiot, which of course, you aren't, are you?

Failure to comprehend the question I asked could be considered the action of someone of below average intelligence unless you ignored it so that you could have a go at a stranger on the internet like a *****r, which of course you aren't, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

he asked a very simply question, which you still haven't answered.

Fraud is never going to get you anywhere on here....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Hi

Thanks

Do you have a no claims bonus as you led them to believe or did you lie to them which would effective make it fraud.
    You will now have to let ongoing insurance companies know of this cancellation otherwise all policies will be invalid.

RossieMan wrote: »
    he asked a very simply question, which you still haven't answered.

Fraud is never going to get you anywhere on here....

He simply asked me if I was an idiot and I chose not to respond

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

He simply asked me if I was an idiot and I chose not to respond

Do you have a no claims bonus?

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Do you have a no claims bonus?

Yes

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yes

Then why didnt you send proof of it to your insurance company?

• Advertisement

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Then why didnt you send proof of it to your insurance company?

I was very busy in work and put it off thinking I will get it to them eventually. I was not expecting the policy to be cancelled so quickly. It turned out they sent me a regustered letter a couple of weeks ago that I was not at home to collect and did not get into the post office to collect.

It is clearly my own fault and I will live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Have you been in touch with your insurance company on the phone they may try and reinstate the policy and if they can't they may be able to ammend the previous policy so as not to show as a cancelled policy.

I've been in a similar position myself putting things on the long finger to be fair.

I was very busy in work and put it off thinking I will get it to them eventually. I was not expecting the policy to be cancelled so quickly. It turned out they sent me a regustered letter a couple of weeks ago that I was not at home to collect and did not get into the post office to collect.

It is clearly my own fault and I will live and learn.

As another poster just said why not contact them and ask them what they can do for you. Tell them it was an oversight and they should see from their records that the registered letter was not collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Failure to comprehend the question I asked could be considered the action of someone of below average intelligence unless you ignored it so that you could have a go at a stranger on the internet like a *****r, which of course you aren't, are you?

@OP:
    I didn't fail to comprehend the question you asked, however, you didn't state whether or not you actually had a no claim bonus and this was a relevant fact and how your question was answered was actually dependent on whether you had one or not. Nobody was having a go at you, least of all me. Implicit in my comment was that nobody but an idiot would tell an insurance company that they had a no claims bonus when in fact they hadn't....because that would simply be fraud and from your original post you didn't mention whether you did or you didn't. I was being very careful NOT to accuse you of being an idiot and qualified the comment in what I thought was an appropriate manner....inviting you to confirm that you had a NCB. I thought it was a fair enough question and I assumed you'd read between the lines and clarify, but you've obviously picked it up the wrong way, as indeed has the Moderator.

So we've both been shown a yellow card. I'd be inclined to plead "ah..ref" and protest, but that might get me sent off...so I'll shut up ;-)

Anyhow, I hope you get your insurance problem sorted...

Advertisement