Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving newbie

Options
  • 12-02-2017 11:32pm

Bought a Merkur (MK 23C) on Amazon USA. Have never shaved with a razor as I've always used an electric.

Can someone give me a few pointers please? Do I need to purchase shaving foam? Completely ignorant here!!

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Buy a decent shaving soap. Get yourself a brush. Learn to love prepping and lathering. Watch all the tutorial videos you can find. Take it slowly. Apply very little/no pressure with your hand. Shave with the grain at first. Enjoy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

While most guys who go DE also go with a brush and old school shaving soap it's not required. You can certainly practice with your new razor with whatever store bought shaving cream/gel in the beginning. I'd highly recommend getting a sample pack of blades. http://connaughtshaving.com/samplepack.html

I see that is an open combed razor so be aware it is designed to be more aggressive than a close comb razor. An often recommended all-rounder is the EJ89 (uses the same head as Murkur so there are several styles available): http://www.shaving.ie/products/edwin-jagger-barley-de89ba11.html

Of course you can have at it and learn yourself or you can check out some videos which cover all aspects of wet shaving in depth. Personally I used this one and while a bit cheesy I still highly recommend it: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2DB6D82F52BA7608

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

Buying a (filled) bowl and a brush is certainly more economical than shaving foam/gel or whatever it's called; try the men's section in Boots or Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Definitely get a decent shaving cream or soap. If you want to start cheap but still have a quality shave Palmolive tubes of cream are under €3 in Tesco. Otherwise try any of the creams from shaving.ie or Knights in Stephens Green.

There's plenty of videos on youtube to show you how to do it properly.

Welcome to the club. Once you get your technique right you'll never go back to electric or cartridge razors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dubliner1989

I'm in the same boat but having actually bought a razor yet! I'm eyeing up a black razor from a website called manlystuff.ie - has anyone bought from there before?

I want to get into wet shaving but not sure where to start, sick of cartridges blades costing so much!! Googled Safety razors and boards came up. Any advice?

• Advertisement
Advertisement