Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IStructE Exam - Level of Preparation Required?

Options
  • 12-02-2017 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I have been thinking about taking the IStructE exam and achieve chartership status, but before I delve into it, I was wondering what exactly is required from a preparation stand point.

I know it is a very difficult exam, with a very high fail rate of 65%, or so I believe. Those of you that are lucky enough to have passed, how much study did you put in?

I would love to sit and pass the exam, but I honestly do not know if I'd be able to fit it in with my life currently. I work long hours at work, 8am to 7pm some days, I also have a girlfriend and I play football back home so I regularly have training and matches.

Did those of you who have sat the exam sacrifice a lot in order to get it? Was it worth it in the end?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Hi,

I did it in 2012 (i think?!). I believe at the time myself and one other passed it in Ireland..

Honestly its the most difficult exam I've ever done in my life. That said, it was well worthwhile and I learned a hell of a lot while studying for it. Its a highly respected qualification among those in the know (mainly other structural engineers) but most architects etc dont even know what it is.

As for preparation, personally i dont think you stand a chance without undertaking the preparation course. Set up by istructe irelabd and usually held in Bolton St. Well worth it!! That starts a few months in advance of the exam and you'll need to be studying/practicing past exams in between. You will likely find it difficult to prepare while maintaining training/matches etc and trying to keep the missus happy at the same time! Thankfully we had no kids at the time and she was understanding..

It takes a lot of preparation, setting up notes/folders, practicing a couple of full papers in 8 hours (i only did this twice on 2 separate saturdays and couldnt face another one). The exam is all about time management, they will go through this with you on the prep course. The reason for the high failure rate is that the examiner simply stops correcting your paper if theres a fundamental flaw (usually an instability) or you've missed the brief (put in a column where you were specifically told you couldnt etc). They're both instant fails!

Hopefully you've a couple of good lads in work who can give you a good steer also.

Also i highly recommend getting the past papers and solutions from the istructe. You can buy a cd from the institution cheap enough. Good atarting point.

Best of luck!

Advertisement