Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French doors

Options
  • 12-02-2017 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking to install exterior French doors on a new extension and I'm just wondering peoples opinions on the security of them. I was thinking of having them opening outwards so the hinges would be outside as well.
    Security wise I was looking at getting that plastic type sheet that fits over the glass to make it harder to break and the lock system that fits over the handles of the door.
    Is there much of a difference between the doors and sliding doors as well or are they pretty much the same?
    Any advice is appreciated, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Cylinders with the UK Kite mark that ensures they are anti snap and get yourself an intruder alarm system with perimeter protection.

If you are just thinking of securing your doors only, just brick up the area you were going to fit the doors too.
    I do not care what anyone says, any window or door is vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Had first hand experience of this recently when a relatives house was broken in to through the French doors. They are the same as you are describing hinges on the outside etc. Could not believe how easy they opened them. We actually couldn't find where they got in for ages we thought the doors where not locked and they simply walked in but when the Garda forensic lad came he showed us how they opened the door. There was one little screwdriver mark at the bottom of the door and that was it. Basically the locking mechanism slides down in to a receiver in the bottom of the frame. This is a small square piece of metal which the locking bar sits in to and that was the weak point. They prised the door enough that the metal receiver broke and the locking mechanism popped out. When the bottom of the door was out there was enough flexibility in the door to bend the top lock out of the receiver. I have since retrofitted two additional bolts on the inside which lock down over the frame and replaced the bottom locking receiver with a piece of 6mm steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Had first hand experience of this recently when a relatives house was broken in to through the French doors. They are the same as you are describing hinges on the outside etc. Could not believe how easy they opened them. We actually couldn't find where they got in for ages we thought the doors where not locked and they simply walked in but when the Garda forensic lad came he showed us how they opened the door. There was one little screwdriver mark at the bottom of the door and that was it. Basically the locking mechanism slides down in to a receiver in the bottom of the frame. This is a small square piece of metal which the locking bar sits in to and that was the weak point. They prised the door enough that the metal receiver broke and the locking mechanism popped out. When the bottom of the door was out there was enough flexibility in the door to bend the top lock out of the receiver. I have since retrofitted two additional bolts on the inside which lock down over the frame and replaced the bottom locking receiver with a piece of 6mm steel.

Thanks for that, i have an ongoing conflict in my head ha, I like the idea of the doors opening out but for security I'm thinking of fitting them opening inside with the bolts inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Saw the results of a breakin to the neighbours house first hand, they threw a garden ornament through the double glazed patio door and walked on in. 100k car taken.

Any glass is an entry point, that film is the way to go, also get additional bolts on the inside. I also have sensors on the doors and motion detectors aimed at the doors.

AmberGold wrote: »
    Saw the results of a breakin to the neighbours house first hand, they threw a garden ornament through the double glazed patio door and walked on in. 100k car taken.

Any glass is an entry point, that film is the way to go, also get additional bolts on the inside. I also have sensors on the doors and motion detectors aimed at the doors.

When you say sensors on the doors, are these shock sensors?
    I absolutely agree with you about the vulnerability of glass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Sensors that trigger if the door is opened.

AmberGold wrote:
    Sensors that trigger if the door is opened.

Right there is the confusion that many in our trade exploit.
    A 'Sensor' that triggers the opening is called a ' Contact'.
    These are on average 25% cheaper than what should be there.
    Theses are not designed to detect the impact caused by someone smashing glass etc.

What should be fitted are units called Inertia Shock Sensors, these will detect vibrations and indeed the actual openings as they have inbuilt contacts as well.
    So before the potential Intruder actually gains access to your home, the system will have detected him and activated, hopefully sending him off in the direction he came in.

These are much better than contacts as with a contact and indeed beams, the guy either has the window/ door open and is in, the system might activate but he will think well, I am in now, might as well grab something before I go, there is a time lapse usually before an alarm is responded to and this will be exploited in this example

Advertisement