Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying psychology part time

Options
  • 12-02-2017 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I hope this is the right area to post in. Basically I'm hoping to study psychology part time in DBS starting in September of this year. I've done some research and given my situation I reckon this is the only way to go about doing this. I'm 28 and in full time employment as a civil servant. I was hoping to get some feedback on the part time course DBS runs and and would welcome any advice for someone starting out in this area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I hope this is the right area to post in. Basically I'm hoping to study psychology part time in DBS starting in September of this year. I've done some research and given my situation I reckon this is the only way to go about doing this. I'm 28 and in full time employment as a civil servant. I was hoping to get some feedback on the part time course DBS runs and and would welcome any advice for someone starting out in this area

I graduated from the H.Dip in Psychology in DBS a few months ago, having studied it part time.

I'm not sure if you mean the 4 year degree or the 2 year HDip, but I did the HDip and I know a girl doing the degree and we both had/are having positive experiences.
    I definitely recommend it; it's part time, so it's doable with a full time job. However, be aware that it is extremely tough (the HDip more than the degree though) and you'll have to sign away most of your free time for the time you're in the course.
    The workload is heavy enough and you *WILL* question why the hell you chose to do it when you're leaving work to attend 3 hours of lectures and passing people enjoying their evenings out.

But the lecturers are, by and large, decent. Some very good, some not so much. The modules covered are comprehensive for an undergraduate.

And if anyone questions DBS being a private college, or that your qualification isn't the same as a university qualification, you can tell them they're wrong. I'm on a Masters course in UCC this year, as another of my 17 classmates is a DBS student too.

TL;DR: Good college, good course, tough workload but it's doable with dedication and effort.

Hope that helps!

Advertisement