Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpasteurised Sauerkraut or Vegan Kimchi in Dublin?

Options
  • 12-02-2017 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi, I've searched a couple of Polish shops In Dublin city, and found sauerkraut, but I think it's pasteurised, which defeats the purpose of eating it since the pasteurisation process kills the good bacteria along with the bad. Does anyone know any Polish shops in Dublin that sell unpasteurised sauerkraut, and what it's called?

Also, I've looked in Asian shops for any vegan versions of Kimchi, but it's all the traditional version, which contains fish. Has anyone found a shop in Dublin selling a vegan version?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Alpha&#937 wrote: »

Also, I've looked in Asian shops for any vegan versions of Kimchi, but it's all the traditional version, which contains fish. Has anyone found a shop in Dublin selling a vegan version?

The Hopsack in The Swan Centre Rathmines has jars of Kimchi and I'm pretty sure it's vegan. It's also €8 for a pretty big jar so you'd want to like your Kimchi! It's a really nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

You are correct to seek unpasteurised. I was watching a report recently on "Trust me Im a Doctor" on BBC and they checked batches of home made and commercially made products that are meant to have probiotics. All of the home made ones did but only the Kefir and Kombucha of the commercial had any good bacteria. The Kimchi and Sauerkraut had none. I make my own sauerkraut and it is very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I think I saw some when I was in Down to Earth on Georges St. last week. As Mentalmiss says though it's very easy to make your own (which I was going to do this weekend but the local shop had no Chinese leaves in :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    The Hopsack in The Swan Centre Rathmines has jars of Kimchi and I'm pretty sure it's vegan. It's also €8 for a pretty big jar so you'd want to like your Kimchi! It's a really nice one.

Sorry to quote myself but... I was there this morning and smaller jars (350ml) now available for about €5, they also stock sauerkraut too, big and small jars.

Advertisement