Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC build for running VM lab

Options
  • 12-02-2017 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm looking to build a new PC to replace my current desktop, with the intention of running multiple Server 2012/Win 7 VMs in VMware Workstation, for study and lab testing. Currently I have:

i5-2320 3GHz
    8GB DDR3 1333MHz
    ASUST P8H61-M LE/USB3
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
    2 x 500GB HDD (System)
    1 x 120GB SSD (VM storage)
    Windows 10 Pro

I can run about 6-8 VMs comfortably, but I'd prefer things a bit snappier and I'd like to run more.

I'm considering the possibility of just upgrading my current setup with another larger SSD and 16GB total RAM (max my motherboard can handle, and I find SSDs make a huge difference running VMs), hence the budget is low for the new build, but I wouldn't mind spending a bit more if it's going to make a big difference.

It's been a long time since I built a PC so would be nice to get a recommended build, or whether I'm far better off just upgrading what I have. Cheers!

1. What is your budget? [€600-800]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [VM lab in VMware Workstation]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Preferably not, so I can re-purpose my current one, but the 120GB SSD could be used (Crucial MX100 256GB SATA 2.5"), and the case (a big Antec tower)]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080] [Yes, I'd be interested in a larger screen/resolution or having dual screen in the future, but it's not a requirement for the initial build]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [No]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No, I want the system to be as stable as possible]

8. How can you pay? [Credit Card]

9. When are you purchasing? [In next 60 days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Not needed]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Multiple VMs + 16GB Ram cap = paging (probably why HDD was noticeably slow for you). That on an SSD will be faster but will run you towards your write cap quicker than normal. Something to be cautious of.

Id keep the desktop and build a headless last gen Xeon box to be your VM host. If you go back to E5 v1/v2 stuffs cheap and not DDR4.

Any reason for not going HyperV if its windows boxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 paulgrogan

ED E wrote: »
    Multiple VMs + 16GB Ram cap = paging (probably why HDD was noticeably slow for you). That on an SSD will be faster but will run you towards your write cap quicker than normal. Something to be cautious of.

Id keep the desktop and build a headless last gen Xeon box to be your VM host. If you go back to E5 v1/v2 stuffs cheap and not DDR4.

Any reason for not going HyperV if its windows boxes?

Noted about the write cap. Not sure paging is the issue on my current setup though, my HDDs are just old and I experience some pretty bad latency on them even just doing general file browsing. I have some of my VMs on these HDD and some on SSD, and even when I just have one or two fired up with minimal RAM assigned there's a noticeable performance difference. I'm looking to ditch them asap to be honest.

I just much prefer the UI of VMware. I could be wrong but virtual switches in VMware Workstation seem to be a bit more flexible too, I certainly got up and running quicker than when I tried out Hyper-V. Not saying I wouldn't give it a go again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 paulgrogan

ED E wrote: »

What kind of costs would you be looking at for that? I'd still be using my PC day-to-day outside of running VMs, so I quite like the idea of any upgrade also improving that side of things.

Advertisement