Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign Girlfriend

Options
  • 12-02-2017 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Okay, so I know this girl from the Philippines and I have known her since I was 15 and we are 19 now. She is almost complete her degree in Nutrition and Dietetics but when I am done my degree I want to be able to live with her here. I'm just wondering what is the best way to go about it? I would and want to marry her if that will allow her to stay here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

JLee73 wrote: »
    Okay, so I know this girl from the Philippines and I have known her since I was 15 and we are 19 now. She is almost complete her degree in Nutrition and Dietetics but when I am done my degree I want to be able to live with her here. I'm just wondering what is the best way to go about it? I would and want to marry her if that will allow her to stay here.

A degree at 19?! There's a health worker shortage here in Ireland so her best bet would be to get a job here and sponsored for a visa.

Hold off on the marriage for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JLee73

She is almost complete 3rd year and has done her work experience and stuff so she will have her degree at 20. Yes I'd preferably like to wait a few years after her being here to make sure everything is okay before we got married but If it is the only way she can come I will do that then we can have a proper one in a few years. Would a marriage definitely work? I looked and I seen some conflicting stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,404 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You're in a relationship with this girl I take it?

Yeah, known her for years. We talk everyday, never meant it to happen but it did...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭worded

If it doesn't work out and you have kids the natural insticnct will be for her to want to return to her mom / country of origin. It's the maternal instinct

If you are with a native and it doesn't work and there are kids you don't have an international custody battle on your hands.

I wish you the best of luck OP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: Moved from the Weddings forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Have you ever seen this person like face to face or has all communications been over email

We've skyped almost everyday for the past few years, don't worry; she's not a catfish haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Hi JLee77,

Are you 77 , 44 or 19 years old ??

I'm 19, the same age as her haha. It might be a bit creepy if I was that old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,404 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just curious if you've met her. You're being a little vague with your answers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

You haven't met her in person yet?

How did you meet online?

When is she coming to Ireland? Is she looking for work?

I've never met her in person but I've know her since 2013 and we really connected around 2 years ago. She's the only person I actually want to talk to and we talk all day texting on facebook or on skype using video cams so I can see her. She's also introduced me to some of her family on skype(her cousins as she's pretty close to them).

No, I've never met her in person although we have skyped almost everyday and I know it's a bit odd I heard stories about people meeting people online but always thought it was never for me and the whole prospect was a bit silly until I met her. I met her on some chat site when I was 15 and then we talked on different mediums since.

Yes, she will of course be looking for work if she is to come her but right now she's not she's studying to complete her degree. And she's never asked me for anything like money or anything if any of you's are thinking that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OP your enteraining marrying someone you never met. Where could this go wrong. Why dont you move to her country ? No visa issues . .. it is love after all !!

I could but the pay in the Philippines is awful. I'm not from a rich family or anything.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    1.Poster claims to have skyped this lady for many years - since she was 15, and is now 19.
    Yet he only appears just now on Boards.ie?

2. Admits they have never physically met.

3. He suggests that they might get married so that she might come here - LD can hardly approve of such abuse of legislation.

Either a hopeless romantic, or a troll.

I suggest he stir out to meet some girls his own age in RL F to Face.

Closing this thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement