Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heart rate

Options
  • 12-02-2017 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Is a resting heart rate of 90 high for a 32 yr old. When standing it goes up to 110. Not overweight. Feel tired all the time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ftse100

md 84 wrote: »
    Is a resting heart rate of 90 high for a 32 yr old. When standing it goes up to 110. Not overweight. Feel tired all the time.

90 would seem high alright. Are you checking this yourself? Just go to the doctor and have them check you out. A spike in hr when you stand up is normal.. You could have an overactive thyroid or something.. Best to get checked out by a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 md 84

ftse100 wrote: »
    90 would seem high alright. Are you checking this yourself? Just go to the doctor and have them check you out. A spike in hr when you stand up is normal.. You could have an overactive thyroid or something.. Best to get checked out by a professional.

I've been feeling unwell all week with palpitations and shortness of breath. That's when I started checking my pulse. I went to a&e on Friday but they couldn't find anything wrong.

Since yesterday, I have a tightness and pain in my chest and back and feel sick. I have appointment with doctor today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Good to hear you're seeing your doc, they often have better knowledge of you. Make notes of things you've noticed over the last while. Hope it goes well..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Definitely on the high side, though 90 is still in normal range. Your GP can issue you with a Holter monitor (24 hour heart monitor) or refer you for one if the surgery doesn't offer them, most wouldn't. Likely A&E already did an ECG on you. I got a Holter privately in the Beacon for approx. €180. It's very valuable information to have a day and night of recording, rather than just a snapshot.

My heart rate rose suddenly just over 3 years ago. Constantly at or just over 100 resting. A Holter showed it was running at 140 sitting down at a desk working, spiking to 180/90 running for the bus, and still over 80 asleep. No strange rhythms thankfully, it was constantly in normal sinus rhythm. An echocardiogram ultrasound was also normal and a tilt table test designed to show postural orthostatic tachycardia did not show the abnormal rise required. Sometimes tachycardia has nothing driving it (once stress and thyroid issues are also ruled out). Beta blockers worked for me and I think the rate is decreasing slowly over time as I've managed to halve the dose in the last few months. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 md 84

Thanks for your reply. The doctor is referring me to get the holter monitor. The ECG they did in the hospital was fine.

The doctor is not concerned with the heart rate, said it was in the normal range. I just thought it strange when other people's heart rates are 60-70.

She thinks my symptoms could be caused by stress from juggling work and college.

I'm feeling a bit better now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Bianca Crystal

Is a resting heart rate of 90 high for a 32 yr old. When standing it goes up to 110.  Not overweight. Feel tired all the time.
    What about caffeine in coffee and energy drinks? Have you tried to give up those? When I drink coffee on regular basis my resting heart rate also gets higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

When I first had an elevated heart rate the first things I was told to cut out were, tea, coffee, chocolate and alcohol and try to cut down on my stress (easier said than done). If you are planning to cut out caffeine it is worth remembering that decaff is not the same as caffeine free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Exileire

Thanks for your reply. The doctor is referring me to get the holter monitor. The ECG they did in the hospital was fine.

The doctor is not concerned with the heart rate, said it was in the normal range. I just thought it strange when other people's heart rates are 60-70.

She thinks my symptoms could be caused by stress from juggling work and college.

I'm feeling a bit better now.

In a 32 year old person, a resting heart rate of 90-100 along with symptoms including fatigue, tightness in the chest, palpitations, and shortness of breath is not normal. If a 62 year old presented with these symptoms; absolutely, you would suspect a cardiac / heart cause such as an arrhythmia (e.g. a fast heart rhythm). If everything else that is more common in a 32 year old has been ruled out, then getting a Holter monitor is fine. I hope that your doctors have ruled out the following first: Anxiety, symptomatic anemia, overactive thyroid.

Advertisement