Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling wall onto emulsion paint

Options
  • 11-02-2017 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭

I got to tile above our kitchen worktop (counter) one day. What is there at the moment is magnolia emulsion matt paint onto plaster. Whats the best way to attack this?

- I remember once before I tiled onto some emulsion paint and made a really good job but after a few months a couple of tiles fell off the wall and it seemed the tiles had affixed themselves to the paint rather than the plaster!! - even though I had sanded it down to give it a key.

I a presuming maybe I have to scrape lines right into the plaster this time, but how, is there a special tool to do this? - or how shall i prepare it this time so the tiles get a good grip onto the wall?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I got to tile above our kitchen worktop (counter) one day. What is there at the moment is magnolia emulsion matt paint onto plaster. Whats the best way to attack this?

- I remember once before I tiled onto some emulsion paint and made a really good job but after a few months a couple of tiles fell off the wall and it seemed the tiles had affixed themselves to the paint rather than the plaster!! - even though I had sanded it down to give it a key.

I a presuming maybe I have to scrape lines right into the plaster this time, but how, is there a special tool to do this? - or how shall i prepare it this time so the tiles get a good grip onto the wall?

Thanks.[/quote

Stanley knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Don't sand as you will just make it smoother. As above, a stanley knife and plenty of blades or a sharpened screwdriver and use a scraper to get off any crumbly paint left. You could even sugar soap it to remove any grease.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Are you sure you mixed the adhesive right? I've tilled my kitchen/bathroom walls through out the house which had the builders magnolia on it and it was fine, didn't sand or key.

Advertisement