Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working while goin back to college

Options
  • 11-02-2017 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

im currently working as a qualified hairdresser and thinking of going back to college to study business as i want to work in banking or insurance. my problem is that they have exams in december and take place during the day which is our busiest time of year. could my boss let me go even if its only 1 week that will be out of work??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Maybe say nothing and ring in sick?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cnm

id prefer not to lie as it is a 4 year course and hope to stay working there till i finish degree. is there anyone i could ring to find out employees rights on that??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

What rights are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cnm

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    What rights are you looking for?

that goin back to college wont affect my employment. exams are during the day so would need time off for them

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Just book holidays or if your job gives exam leave. Other than that I don't think they are obliged to give you time off for exams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

cnm wrote: »
    that goin back to college wont affect my employment. exams are during the day so would need time off for them

There is no legal requirement for an employer to give you time off for exams. So you need to be mature and up-front about it and discuss it with your employer. I'm sure most decent employers would only be too delighted their employees are trying to better themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭Xterminator

OP - you need 1 day off at the busiest time of year. your employer is not obliged to give you this day off. There is no obligation or legal right.

your choices are, sit down and discuss your needs or call in sick.

if you object morally to the 2nd, then you must try the 1st. however you are relying on goodwill.

Advertisement