Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorhome: damp or cosmetic?

Options
  • 11-02-2017 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi folks. Went looking at a motorhome today. It looked really nice and electrics\gas\water seemed in good working order. But one thing caught my eye up over the kitchen area where the wall met the roof. Does this look like water\damp damage or is it just cosmetic. The seller said they checked the with a meter and it was grand. What do ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭meercat

hernie wrote: »
    The seller said they checked the with a meter and it was grand.

i wouldnt expect him to say anything else in fairness.hard to tell from photos.needs further investigation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Could just be mildew from condensation did you try to wipe it off, did you press the areas to check for movement, you'd want a ladder to check the seams and roof for damage, delamination, loose sealant etc. Moisture meters are of limited use and most people don't know how to use them properly, the probes have to penetrate well into surface to get any kind of a meaningful reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Ask for a current habitation check. Otherwise you are at risk of buying a damp 'van and the unseen damage can be a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭hernie

Thanks for the advice folks. I think I'll ask for a habitation check as CJhaughey suggested before I go any further. It was a really nice motorhome otherwise but I don't want to buy into trouble. These guys look like they might do a decent job http://www.maynoothmotorhomes.ie/habitation-testing/

Just a quick update. The seller has agreed to get a habitation check done. Should know this week how it got on.

Are the reports easy to read for the lay person?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Just a quick update. The seller has agreed to get a habitation check done. Should know this week how it got on.

Benbacul97 posted asample a coupld of posts down:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102607786&postcount=31

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Benbacul97 posted asample a coupld of posts down:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102607786&postcount=31
    Very easy to read - I can understand it!

I'd follow up reading through the report with a call to the center that did the habitation check - just to be sure to be sure!

Benbecul97 wrote: »

I'd follow up reading through the report with a call to the center that did the habitation check - just to be sure to be sure!

Good stuff, looking forward to seeing the report now.

Yeah I was thinking of giving the center a call as well. I wonder if they would speak to me as I'm not the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

It's in quite an obscure place. I'm wondering, did the seller point it out to you or did you find it yourself?

I spotted it myself. The seller left us alone to look around the motorhome so had plenty of time to look around. It just caught my eye when coming out of the bathroom area which is across from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Well spotted! :cool:

Strange that if he claims he knew about it, and it is just on the surface, that he didn't wipe it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Benbecul97 wrote: »

Good stuff, looking forward to seeing the report now.

Yeah I was thinking of giving the center a call as well. I wonder if they would speak to me as I'm not the owner.
    Just tell the center that you are thinking of buying the motorhome and that you want to speak to the guy that carried out the habitation check. That's what I'd do anyway.

Advertisement