Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance transfer - still own existing car

Options
  • 11-02-2017 11:16am
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Looking at getting a new car, but selling my own car privately, as the trade in value is terrible versus a private sale.

If I still own both cars, but only one will be driven (the older will be driven when being sold/moved), how does insurance work, if I transfer to the new car? I know DOC extension only applies to a car that's not owned by you, but for example, could my wife now drive the older car, as DOC,as it's not owned by her, even with no insurance policy on it?

I don't fancy having 2 insurance policies, one for the new and one for the old, as the old one is being sold at some point and won't really be driven.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just keep the Almera somewhere safe and do a temporary transfer over if you need to drive it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Just keep the Almera somewhere safe and do a temporary transfer over if you need to drive it.

I have a garage I can keep the car. The issue I have is that I think I'm with 123 (need to check) and they charge €30 for any admin!

Why don't you just flog the car straight away?

That's the plan, but there could be a little while before I sell it. The trade in value is SFA. I'd double my money selling privately, so I'm leaning towards that option. The car is perfect, just 11 years old, and not suitable for my needs anymore! I've 1 or 2 people interested in the car, but they wouldn't be looking at getting the car until March (if they do take it).

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MarianneH

Hi op, does your wife have a policy in her own name because usually the doc extension on a policy only applies to the policyholder.. And also to the best of my knowledge if your read the restrictions of that extension there is a part in the that the car can't be owned by you or your spouse.
    I don't know if you will be able to do a temp sub to the old car either most insurers wont do it to a vehicle u own unless they don't ask you when doing it!
    You could ask your insurer to do a temp additional vehicle to your policy to drive the old car but usually this can only be done for a max of 2 days and the insurer will charge for this.

• Advertisement

MarianneH wrote: »
    also to the best of my knowledge if your read the restrictions of that extension there is a part in the that the car can't be owned by you or your spouse.

This is a very specific clause. I've seen it mentioned by many people in here but I've never see if on any of my insurance policies.

You could just ask a friend or relative to drive the almera if to needs to be moved?

With a cheapie you should just flog it asap as they have a habit of hanging around if you lose interest (speaking from experience!)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

antodeco wrote: »
    That's the plan, but there could be a little while before I sell it. The trade in value is SFA. I'd double my money selling privately, so I'm leaning towards that option. The car is perfect, just 11 years old, and not suitable for my needs anymore! I've 1 or 2 people interested in the car, but they wouldn't be looking at getting the car until March (if they do take it).

It's an 11 year old car so you are going to make maybe a few hundred extra selling privately vs a trade in. Is it really worth all the hassle of worrying about insurance, storing it and the time wasters?

Del2005 wrote: »
    It's an 11 year old car so you are going to make maybe a few hundred extra selling privately vs a trade in. Is it really worth all the hassle of worrying about insurance, storing it and the time wasters?

Yes imo. Even 100 euro id rather in my pocket than someone else's.

It's also not really half the hassle it's being made out to be from an insurance perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MarianneH

This is a very specific clause. I've seen it mentioned by many people in here but I've never see if on any of my insurance policies.

Hi NOx
    With some companies its on your certificate its usually no 5 on the cert that states the doc cover but your right that it does not give all the restrictions here I think you would need to specifically ask the company for them. With more companies there is a separate page of schedule e.g Aviva give a sheet with the descriptions its the pc88 endorsement.

• Advertisement

MarianneH wrote: »
    Hi NOx
    With some companies its on your certificate its usually no 5 on the cert that states the doc cover but your right that it does not give all the restrictions here I think you would need to specifically ask the company for them. With more companies there is a separate page of schedule e.g Aviva give a sheet with the descriptions its the pc88 endorsement.

I've been with 123, liberty and Axa in recent times. I've read every word in the policy document as well as the insurance cert and there has been no clause stopping your spouse driving the car under doc.

On the other hand my current policy states that my spouse is covered to drive my car under my insurance without even naming them on the policy and I think that's also common enough in other policies.

Thanks for the replies. Just as an addition, does the car need to be insured for DOC?

Thanks for the replies. Just as an addition, does the car need to be insured for DOC?

Despite the misconception that it does, for most instrabec companies it does not. Just read your cert and policy document to confirm.

Just checked the OH policy there. No mention of it not being allowed to be owned by spouse

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

I have a garage I can keep the car. The issue I have is that I think I'm with 123 (need to check) and they charge €30 for any admin!

€40. Their standard charge for just about anything you do :mad:

Advertisement