Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New system won't start

Options
  • 11-02-2017 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Got some new components recently.

i5-7500
    Asus B250M-C
    4x Corsair 2400Mhz 4GB DDR4

So I tried putting everything together - I get power as the CPU and case fans run fine, but there is no picture.

I suspect it's the motherboard that is faulty.

1) Tried starting the thing outside the case as well, without any cards or drives connected, same effect
    2) PSU shouldn't be faulty, since I can use it in my old computer (It's an old Corsair VX450)
    3) Memory could be faulty, but I have tried starting with any combination of the memory sticks, including no memory at all (and don't get any 'beeps').. and it seems unlikely all 4 would be faulty.
    4) Graphics card isn't the issue, as the old card runs on my old PC and I also tried the on-board graphics.

Tried reseating the CPU and fan a couple of times, but no effect.

..should I replace the motherboard, or could be CPU be faulty? It's a bit confusing since the fans run, but I don't get any error beeps. Or maybe I should try with a different PSU..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

I have a H110 board sitting idle at the moment...I'm in Tallaght...you're welcome to test your RAM and CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Have you tried the monitor with a different machine?
    Does the monitor have an input source-switch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Also check there are no bent pins on the CPU socket on the motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭Polar101

I tried with two monitors, one DVI connection and one HDMI - and I've currently connected them to my old computer, so they work. On the new computer they seemed to get power, as the "check signal" display goes away when I turn the computer on.

Anyway, I think I'll get a new PSU first as the current one is 10 years old. My old motherboard has a 8-pin 12V socket, but the new one has a 4-pin 12V. The PSU has a 4-pin connection, but I don't know if it is 12V or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Polar101 wrote: »
    I tried with two monitors, one DVI connection and one HDMI - and I've currently connected them to my old computer, so they work. On the new computer they seemed to get power, as the "check signal" display goes away when I turn the computer on.

Anyway, I think I'll get a new PSU first as the current one is 10 years old. My old motherboard has a 8-pin 12V socket, but the new one has a 4-pin 12V. The PSU has a 4-pin connection, but I don't know if it is 12V or not.

Would very much think it's 12V...if you've a multimeter you can check it before shelling out on a new PSU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭Polar101

So.. I replaced the motherboard, I came to the conclusion it would be the most likely 'cause' of the problem.

Now I have the system running. I could only get it to POST with 2 memory sticks, anything more than that and there was no picture. So I suppose 2 of the memory sticks are bad as well. Not a big issue since I didn't really need more than 8GB anyway, but need to do some more troubleshooting later.

Thanks for all the assistance, really helped in narrowing down the issue. :)

2mgppy0.jpg

Advertisement