Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XS Direct car insurance

Options
  • 11-02-2017 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hello Folks,

I have made quite a few forums in the past couple of weeks since returning home from Australia, I am like a Noob to all this in this country.

I had bought a range rover upon returning home only to find out nobody will insure me.

Full Irish licence, No no claims bonus, 25 years of age.

Xs direct have offered me a quote of 3500 euros fully comprehensive for the year.
    But the catch is there is a 3000 euro excess . not any old excess, but an all sections excess. Now i have read many many bad reviews of XS Direct and multiple forums. I am just not grasping exactly what this all sections excess is.

So If i hit a 3rd party, they make a claim against me, I am liable to pay whatever the costs of repairs or if more than 3k i have to pay 3k and they cover the rest?

What if somebody hits me and they are at fault, apparently if i make a claim against my OWN insurance for repairs to my i am still liable to pay up to the first 3,000?

I don't think i can get a quote with a normal insurance company and some of you will say oh well sell the range rover and get a smaller car etc well if i sell the range rover I'm probably going to take a 5k loss after only buying the car 2 months ago so thats not really an option.

Im really not grasping this all sections excess, Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

The real kicker is going to be the fact that you'll never be able to sell the Range Rover.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,430 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Dazza123 wrote: »
    Hello Folks,

I have made quite a few forums in the past couple of weeks since returning home from Australia, I am like a Noob to all this in this country.

I had bought a range rover upon returning home only to find out nobody will insure me.

Full Irish licence, No no claims bonus, 25 years of age.

Xs direct have offered me a quote of 3500 euros fully comprehensive for the year.
    But the catch is there is a 3000 euro excess . not any old excess, but an all sections excess. Now i have read many many bad reviews of XS Direct and multiple forums. I am just not grasping exactly what this all sections excess is.

So If i hit a 3rd party, they make a claim against me, I am liable to pay whatever the costs of repairs or if more than 3k i have to pay 3k and they cover the rest?

What if somebody hits me and they are at fault, apparently if i make a claim against my OWN insurance for repairs to my i am still liable to pay up to the first 3,000?

I don't think i can get a quote with a normal insurance company and some of you will say oh well sell the range rover and get a smaller car etc well if i sell the range rover I'm probably going to take a 5k loss after only buying the car 2 months ago so thats not really an option.

Im really not grasping this all sections excess, Any help much appreciated.

If you hit someone else, you pay the first €3k of the damage, but you need to fix the RR yourself.

If someone hits you, you'll be claiming off their insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Dazza123

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If you hit someone else, you pay the first €3k of the damage, but you need to fix the RR yourself.

If someone hits you, you'll be claiming off their insurance.

hhmmm because it says all sections, wouldn't that mean repairing my car is included in the 3k?

Also, so say i hit somebody and the total damage is lets say for arguments sake 1000euro, Am i still held accountable for 3000 euro?

Actually, it would appear Xsdirect to do comprehensive insurance now.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Actually, it would appear Xsdirect to do comprehensive insurance now.

It is comprehensive, but i believe the all sections excess clause counteracts that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I had thought XS left our market. I just wouldn't use them. Extortion is a word they don't even deserve to be associated with, it's too nice for them.

Op, is the RR brand new?

goz83 wrote: »
    I had thought XS left our market. I just wouldn't use them. Extortion is a word they don't even deserve to be associated with, it's too nice for them.

Op, is the RR brand new?

The rr is 08 autobiography hse, bought for 24000.

only 100 KMS on the clock and in almost brand new condition.

reluctant to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Also, so say i hit somebody and the total damage is lets say for arguments sake 1000euro, Am i still held accountable for 3000 euro?

If you hit someone and the damage is €1k you pay the €1k out of pocket. If the damage was 10k, you pay for the first 3k of that insurance pays out 7k.

On a side note, despite me seeing you've previously said money is no issue. I still think this whole saga is financial suicide.

Miike wrote: »
    If you hit someone and the damage is €1k you pay the €1k out of pocket. If the damage was 10k, you pay for the first 3k of that insurance pays out 7k.

On a side note, despite me seeing you've previously said money is no issue. I still think this whole saga is financial suicide.

Why do you say that mike? Like i have stated if i sell my range, i lose out on probably 5-6k , I'm currently renting cars which is costing me a **** ton, i havent had an accident in my 5 years of driving, and thats not to say i wont, but even if i do have one in the next year resulting in 3k, that 3k + the 3500 premium I'm paying doesn't seem all that bad. assuming i don't have any claims, i can hopefully use my 1 year no claim bonus i shall receive through xs to get back into the regular market insurance.

Its a bit of a financial suicide situation I'm in regardless of what i do.
    At the end of the day, il be happy driving my RR and whatever happens happens. touch wood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Why do you say that mike? Like i have stated if i sell my range, i lose out on probably 5-6k , I'm currently renting cars which is costing me a **** ton, i havent had an accident in my 5 years of driving, and thats not to say i wont, but even if i do have one in the next year resulting in 3k, that 3k + the 3500 premium I'm paying doesn't seem all that bad. assuming i don't have any claims, i can hopefully use my 1 year no claim bonus i shall receive through xs to get back into the regular market insurance.

Its a bit of a financial suicide situation I'm in regardless of what i do.
    At the end of the day, il be happy driving my RR and whatever happens happens. touch wood

It's your age playing into your insurance profile for the car you wish to drive. Even getting back into the "regular" market you're still going to be HARD pressed to find an insurer. "Ken-Co" would probably still be the only company willing to insure you and they have similar terms as the company currently quoting you.

Being of a similar age to you I've fallen victim to this nightmare my self. By simply changing job (doing the same thing, different job title) It made my quote 600 euros cheaper. I also had to get Class 2 insurance and add around 20k extra mileage to my cover and STILL it came down 600 euros.

You're stuck between a rock and hard place unfortunately. I've been forced to drive things like an Avensis/SuperB/Octavia. I refuse to pay the extortionate quotes I've been issued for driving anything out of the ordinary. I've a spotlessly clean driving history too! The point I'm trying to make is I really don't see your quotes getting any cheaper for the time being, keeping the RR means it suffers depreciation, quotes remain the same and they are notorious for problems that are usually serious and costly to fix.

Edit - Now that I mention Kennco you should try them for a quote. I have a "friend" insured by them who has been put off the road TWICE for drink driving. They seem to take on anyone. His quote is around the same as yours but for a 2009 Ford Focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Before you buy the insurance, have you checked out Land Rover forums, such as http://www.4wdonline.com/Clubs/Ireland/LREC.html and https://www.facebook.com/landroverireland/ ?

the_syco wrote: »
    Before you buy the insurance, have you checked out Land Rover forums, such as http://www.4wdonline.com/Clubs/Ireland/LREC.html and https://www.facebook.com/landroverireland/ ?

check out the forums for what ? Repair prices etc?
    Im aware I'm not driving a Toyota or Nissan or something that is relatively cheap to repair and service. Most small repairs and fixes I'm good to do myself, and luckily for me i have a couple of friends who are mechanics and know of genuine mechanics around my area too.

But to your answer your post, nope i haven't browsed the forums !

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'll rephrase the suggestion.

On http://www.4wdonline.com/Clubs/Ireland/LREC.html

"Insurance deals for all Land Rovers, for all ages"

You're driving something that you cannot find good insurance on, so perhaps look at a forum dedicated to the vehicle that you cannot insure for a decent price, and see if someone else in a similar situation was able to get a quote without the crazy excess. The above forum was one of the first results that appeared in Google.

Something a bit newer; http://www.clri.net which (as a guest) I saw this post which said that they used Carole Nash insurance.

Site last updated October 2000?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

OP have you tried going to brokers in local town. They can sometimes throw up a decent quote.

As said before you pay the first 3k of any claim, or just the cost of fixing if under 3k.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Just make sure you keep good tires on her. Last thing you want is to be paying that excess out. It's a horrible situation to be in. I almost had to sell on a car I had just swapped for a van I didn't need. Nobody woukd insure me and I was in my late twenties with full ncb. I could not get quotes. The "jap import" bit was the real problem. I got very lucky and got insured for reasonable money. The club forum for the car was also very useful.

So if I'm understanding this all sections excess clause correct. Excess is usually only paid by me in the event my insurance company has to pay out correct ? but because of this all sections, excess will be due whether it is the 3rd party claiming against me AND me claiming damage to my own car i am liable up to 3,000 ? have i grasped this correctly guys or not? And all this would be in the result that i am deemed at fault for an accident ? I have been driving for 5 years and consider myself a cautious and vigilant driver.

You should really ring them for clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

So if I'm understanding this all sections excess clause correct. Excess is usually only paid by me in the event my insurance company has to pay out correct ? but because of this all sections, excess will be due whether it is the 3rd party claiming against me AND me claiming damage to my own car i am liable up to 3,000 ? have i grasped this correctly guys or not? And all this would be in the result that i am deemed at fault for an accident ? I have been driving for 5 years and consider myself a cautious and vigilant driver.

No matter what if you claim or a third party you pay the cost up to 3k.

If someone hits you and they are at fault you claim from them not your own.

If the driver is uninsured that will be a sticky situation as mibi are extremely difficult.

• Advertisement
Advertisement