Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Pick Up for Acoustic Guitar

Options
  • 10-02-2017 9:24pm

Hi all:

Looking for recommendations for pick up for acoustic guitar.

One that doesn't need any work done to the bridge, (so I can do it myself), doesn't need a battery and that has a jack input at strap holder.

I'd guess RL baggs are top of the range? But I don't want to have to spend too big on it.

Its for a small bodied solid Adirondack spruce top with solid rosewood back and sides.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

no battery and no bridge work?

I have a Seymour Duncan Woody as an emergency backup in case my real pick up fails.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/seymour_duncan_woody_sc_westernpickup.htm?glp=1&gclid=Cj0KEQiA8orFBRCEpODivaOft_EBEiQAy3mlfZ1HJ1tYI87ynoG2_Hy8bV3RWgYwSG4_dUG2kcdtZDUaAvLC8P8HAQ

but then, my real pick ups never have failed.

I have piezos, USTs and internal mics, ALL have a battery because you need a preamp or else you can loose a lot of the frequency spectrum

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The K&K Pure Mini gets great reviews. I haven't used it myself, but I plan on getting one for my Taylor GS Mini.

https://www.thomann.de/ie/kk_pure_mini_pure_western_mini.htm

no battery and no bridge work?

I have a Seymour Duncan Woody as an emergency backup in case my real pick up fails.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/seymour_duncan_woody_sc_westernpickup.htm?glp=1&gclid=Cj0KEQiA8orFBRCEpODivaOft_EBEiQAy3mlfZ1HJ1tYI87ynoG2_Hy8bV3RWgYwSG4_dUG2kcdtZDUaAvLC8P8HAQ

but then, my real pick ups never have failed.

I have piezos, USTs and internal mics, ALL have a battery because you need a preamp or else you can loose a lot of the frequency spectrum

Thanks Martin.

"No battery no bridge work"...Was I asking the impossible there? :o I know very little/nothing about acoustic amplification.

The pick up you did suggest, yes I can see why that is great as a standby, but didn't want a lead hanging in the way.

phutyle wrote: »
    The K&K Pure Mini gets great reviews. I haven't used it myself, but I plan on getting one for my Taylor GS Mini.

https://www.thomann.de/ie/kk_pure_mini_pure_western_mini.htm

Thanks phutyle. That looks like the ticket for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Really, to get a decent sound in a live situation an on-board preamp is required IMO. The passive pickups work, but need a lot of gain added at the PA which can be detrimental to the sound.

• Advertisement

Gaspode wrote: »
    Really, to get a decent sound in a live situation an on-board preamp is required IMO. The passive pickups work, but need a lot of gain added at the PA which can be detrimental to the sound.

Thanks for that and all comments.

I must admit I know very little about pickups..I never got involved with the technical side of things.

And I guess its a bit subjective/relating to requirements? And I know that for many the achievement of best quality sound is paramount. That's where I'm personally stuck by my limited knowledge.

I had owned a high end acoustic guitar with a passive (under the saddle) pickup. Previously owned and used by well known gigging pro singer.

I think it was a fishman pickup.

Was that passive pick up probably top quality and not much sound compromised? Did "under the saddle" increase its effectiveness?

I have to admit that the days of me out gigging professionally are behind me, but I'd like to be able to plug my current acoustic in from time to time is small sessions.

So I guess I'm looking for a pick up that does the job at that level, but not one that I have to get work done on the body of the guitar. Its a high end acoustic that I have at present.

The K&K Pure mini that phutyle suggested looks good. But there again, for maximum sound, super glue is suggested in a review, but I'd be sticking to the double sided tape. Just shooting the breeze on this thanks.

Advertisement