Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia and Indonesia for 1 month

Options
  • 10-02-2017 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭

Hello fellow boards advnturers!

I'm heading to Malaysia and Indonesia alone for a month at the end of April.

It will be my first time in either country so if anyone has any suggestions or advice I'd really appreciate it.
    The last time I went abroad I did Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia in a month in 2010! (Too short for 4 countries, would recommend staying longer!)

I'll be landing in Kuala Lumpur, and will be staying for 8 nights before flying off to Jakarta in Indonesia.

Would it be worth my while venturing out of Kuala Lumpur, and where would you suggest?

After the 8 nights I'll be flying to Jakarta and have 3 weeks to spend in Indonesia.

I'm planning on getting a plane the day after arriving in Jakarta to Bali.

Would it be worth seeing Lombok also during those 3 weeks?

Then its back to Jakarta for my flight back home.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

8 nights in Kl is waaaaaaay too long imo. We did 3 and on day 3 we went to the tourist office to see if we'd missed out on any must sees and were told "just shopping, lots and lots of shopping". Borneo was the highlight of that trip for us, KL beats even Brussels when it comes to boring cities I've visited.

Travelled a lot in SE Asia but don't think I'd ever want to go back to KL.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭rojito

8 days is a lot in KL but from there you could go down to Melaka or even as far as Singapore before going back and flying to Jakarta.

I rushed Bali so can't comment too much but Lombok and onwards to the Gili islands are indeed recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

athtrasna wrote: »
    8 nights in Kl is waaaaaaay too long imo. We did 3 and on day 3 we went to the tourist office to see if we'd missed out on any must sees and were told "just shopping, lots and lots of shopping". Borneo was the highlight of that trip for us, KL beats even Brussels when it comes to boring cities I've visited.

Travelled a lot in SE Asia but don't think I'd ever want to go back to KL.

Yeah it was just part of the flight deal, it was Dublin to KL to Jakarta and back for €390.

Had I known that I would have selected the outgoing flight at an earlier date!

Should have asked on here first I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Phil D

Kuala Lumpur is great for a day or two but no more. I'd consider getting a bus or train to Singapore and stopping off in Malaca for the history or Ipoh for the bars and nightlife. Travelling to Penang and staying in Georgetown is an option. Georgetown is a great place to meet people. There's not many things to do in Langkawi but there are nice resorts and beaches if you just want to relax but it's better suited to couples. Malaysia is a lot more expensive than Indonesia but a lot easier to get around, with a better tourist infrastructure, English is more common and the quality and infrastructure make it worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

Phil D wrote: »
    Kuala Lumpur is great for a day or two but no more. I'd consider getting a bus or train to Singapore and stopping off in Malaca for the history or Ipoh for the bars and nightlife. Travelling to Penang and staying in Georgetown is an option. Georgetown is a great place to meet people. There's not many things to do in Langkawi but there are nice resorts and beaches if you just want to relax but it's better suited to couples. Malaysia is a lot more expensive than Indonesia but a lot easier to get around, with a better tourist infrastructure, English is more common and the quality and infrastructure make it worth it.

Thanks a lot for the recomendation for Penang.

Theres a flash sale with Malindo air just after starting and I managed to book a return flight from KL for about 30 euro! That will break up the week in Malaysia nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Alvar

I've heard the Perhentian Islands are stunning if a little boring but it could be worth a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Alvar wrote: »
    I've heard the Perhentian Islands are stunning if a little boring but it could be worth a couple of days.

I was going to mention this. The Perhentian islands are one of the places i would love to go back to. spent about a week there around 5 years ago and i miss it. Not much to do but enjoy the island, swimming, eating drinking, kayaking, snorkeling... its a beautiful spot.
    Tioman islands are also really nice and relaxing. Not much to do but chill out and take life easy for a while. And theres a lot to be said for just doing that! :)
    Wish i was back there now! Might take a look at heading back in the summer myself!!

Advertisement