Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance

Options
  • 10-02-2017 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am 21 and buying my first car, but only hold a provisional licence. My dad has his jeep, the farm and house etc insured with FBD but they won't insure him on the new car and me as a named driver , meaning I'll have to pay 4000-5000 to insure myself. Has anyone been in a similar situation? I can't possibly afford to pay this much for insurance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

What you hold is a learners permit not a provisional licence. You need to pass the driving test to bring that quote down then shop around, you'll still get quoted 3k with fbd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Emmad12344 wrote: »
    I am 21 and buying my first car, but only hold a provisional licence. My dad has his jeep, the farm and house etc insured with FBD but they won't insure him on the new car and me as a named driver , meaning I'll have to pay 4000-5000 to insure myself. Has anyone been in a similar situation? I can't possibly afford to pay this much for insurance

Try Boxymo and price the likes of a 1l corsa, yaris, etc.

You are young and have no driving experience and as such are in the highest risk category. Boxymo seem to be consistently the cheapest, by some stretch, to drivers with similar profiles to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

OP, what you're describing is called fronting, it's a big nono and could come back to bite you in the ass.

aujopimur wrote: »
    OP, what you're describing is called fronting, it's a big nono and could come back to bite you in the ass.

Yet the majority of young drivers do it, how exactly would they prove whether the parent is the main driver or not? I wouldn't blame them for doing it as insurance is gone crazy. Saying that I have my son who's 21 on his own car, 1.8 L over the last 3 years, 1600 first year 1800 second year and 2000 this year even though he never had a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Yet the majority of young drivers do it, how exactly would they prove whether the parent is the main driver or not? I wouldn't blame them for doing it as insurance is gone crazy. Saying that I have my son who's 21 on his own car, 1.8 L over the last 3 years, 1600 first year 1800 second year and 2000 this year even though he never had a claim.

And the insurance is probably just going to go up till he starts earning his own no claims, Thats pretty much the only thing that counts in getting cheaper insurance.

• Advertisement

Skatedude wrote: »
    And the insurance is probably just going to go up till he starts earning his own no claims, Thats pretty much the only thing that counts in getting cheaper insurance.
    Exactly, if any young driver have a claim on their insurance I'd imagine they'd have to give up driving, crazy system.

Advertisement