Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Burns?

Options
  • 10-02-2017 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭

My two lurchers have been on burns for ten years. I don't want to change them but I have no income at present (not even maternity benefit) as I just had twin babies.

At seventy euro a bag ( or sixty online) the burns stuff is just mental expensive. Any similar quality brands for half that money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Congratulations!

You could try skinners duck and rice, similar to burns and cheap when bought on amazon and subscribe and save for an extra discount. Free postage too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skinners-Field-Trial-Food-Duck/dp/B003EGMHL2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486736899&sr=8-1&keywords=skinners+dog+food+duck+and+rice

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Congratulations!

You could try skinners duck and rice, similar to burns and cheap when bought on amazon and subscribe and save for an extra discount. Free postage too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skinners-Field-Trial-Food-Duck/dp/B003EGMHL2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486736899&sr=8-1&keywords=skinners+dog+food+duck+and+rice

Was going to suggest Skinners too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Or Red Mills' Engage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

If you buy a packet of chicken thighs - €2 lidl this week - plus a packet of brown rice €1.20, plus 49c veggies - butternut squash & sweet potatos Lidl this week. Boil the lot up in big pan with lots of water, throw in a carrot or potato or two, remove bones, and for €4.20 you would have enough food for two lurchers for one week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

fits wrote: »
    My two lurchers have been on burns for ten years. I don't want to change them but I have no income at present (not even maternity benefit) as I just had twin babies.

At seventy euro a bag ( or sixty online) the burns stuff is just mental expensive. Any similar quality brands for half that money?

Fits my two are on burns. I started a very similar thread years and years ago! Anyway I used skinners duck and rice with success for years with one dog. She can't tolerate it anymore....I think it's the beet pulp.
    I buy "burns alert" it's vat free on amazon. I pay around £25 subscribe and save 12kg per month. It is exactly the same as normal burns but aimed at assistance dogs so vat free. The only other food that I have found similar (no beet pulp) is the "leader" sensitive food.

For me it's just not worth the vet bills changing. One has atopic dermatitis and the other one ends up chewing hair off bum on any other food now!!

I would like to move them to a food like wolf of the wilderness but not risking it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vwshooter

We're are you based ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭fits

aonb wrote: »
    If you buy a packet of chicken thighs - €2 lidl this week - plus a packet of brown rice €1.20, plus 49c veggies - butternut squash & sweet potatos Lidl this week. Boil the lot up in big pan with lots of water, throw in a carrot or potato or two, remove bones, and for €4.20 you would have enough food for two lurchers for one week.

I don't have time to cook my own dinner never mind the dogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭fits

Thanks for suggestions. We are going to experiment with red mills

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ch1981

Have tried red mills and skinners maintenance both good alternatives

Advertisement