Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook 2016 setup - Use a different PST file than the default one created

Options
  • 10-02-2017 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

My Manager has a new laptop. He has backup of a PST file with all his emails from another laptop. I would like to use that PST file as the default one on the new laptop, so that all emails are downloaded to that PST file locally.

Shall I go to File -> Account Settings -> Data Files - > Add -> (Add the PST File) - > Set as Default

Would this download all the new emails to this PST file?

Or do I need to Open the PST file or Import the PST file?

Appreciate any help...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭TestLink

I copied the PST file to the new laptop using File -> Account Settings -> Data Files - > Add -> (Add the PST File) - > Set as Default

But all the new emails are going to the default OST file created when Outlook 2016 started and not to the PST file copied from the old laptop.

Any workarounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

TestLink wrote: »
    I copied the PST file to the new laptop using File -> Account Settings -> Data Files - > Add -> (Add the PST File) - > Set as Default

But all the new emails are going to the default OST file created when Outlook 2016 started and not to the PST file copied from the old laptop.

Any workarounds?

.ost and .pst are two different things. Are the mails to the new laptop being routed through a dedicated mail server? If so then copies of the mails are stored there and the .ost
    The .pst file is there if you need to move your emails around or access them while not connected to a network.

Thanks for the reply. The emails are hosted on office 365 cloud.

Is there any way to make all the new emails get downloaded to the PST file automatically? He is now manually moving the emails to the PST file.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Just import the PST into the OST, you cant use a pst as a data store when using an exchange \ O365 account.
    You can simply import though, its really easy, just follow the steps below

https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/Import-email-contacts-and-calendar-from-an-Outlook-pst-file-431a8e9a-f99f-4d5f-ae48-ded54b3440ac

Thanks allybhoy...

• Advertisement
Advertisement