Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Burners Design?

Options
  • 10-02-2017 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi All,

I am currently involved in a project to design a bespoke cooker based on a Bratt Pan. (I had to google it too at the beginning, it is basically a very large deep frying pan that can tilt forward :) ). I have the mechanical design portion covered, but have almost no experience with gas burners and their controls. An online search only turned up companies in Italy and the USA, and they are really only component suppliers.
    I know what I want to do, but am not sure if it is recommended or possible, and don't want to go off buying components if it is not going to work or be legal to use.
    Can anyone recommend a company or person that might be able to help me out? Preferably Irish, but any help would be nice.

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If it's based on a commercially available project can you do a bit of reverse engineering on it

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Thewanderer_ie

Hi Cat,

Unfortunately not. First, the one in possession is an older model with too many scars and modified pieces to be useful. Second, there are changes needed to the commercial versions that make it useless- this is bespoke enough that it needs to be done new.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Would any gas cooker not have the controls you require?

Simply put, no. There are many ways to skin a cat and all that.
    I am looking for automatic temperature/flame control, which is not all that common with gas. My trouble is that I can easily blindly copy something that has been done before (and may end up doing so), but I need to know that all regulations are being followed- they aren't always even in commercial stuff, and it is my name on the cert in the end.
    I may have somebody to help, but he isn't returning my calls... :(

I see.

Can you contact a company that service gas boilers or someone like calor gas and try and pick their minds?

I'm just thinking out loud here by the way

• Advertisement

I have done that, but the service companies I have talked to are "just" service people- they can fix and replace the parts, but wouldn't have the expertise to design according to regulations.
    I contacted the testing center in the UK that does all the CE certification for these sort of things, but all the names they had were large companies who would not want to share their secrets with small guys like me... :)

Time to spend another day on the phone hunting for someone...

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭biblio

Try Ward gas services in youghal Co. Cork
    Wardgas.ie
    They used to manufacture their own designs of gas fires, cookers and various kinds of gas burners.

Thanks for that lead. They were recommended by another contact of mine as well. I spoke to the owner, but he told me he had to retire and shut down the company due to medical problems... :(

I have a lead and quotes in progress with 2 companies- one in the UK, and one in Germany. Never thought it would be this hard!

Advertisement