Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

easy veggies recipes please for kids

Options
  • 09-02-2017 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Two weeks ago my 14 year old daughter saw an awful video on animal cruelty and decided to become a vegetarian as did a couple of her school friends,
    now I will totally support her as I have cut out a lot of meat from our diet already, but I don't know what to cook for her, she dosn't eat many vegetables only carrots and mash potatoes, I have bought veggie burgers, she ate one, dosn't like quorn, and as we are a family of 6 don't want to cook 2 completely different dinners, have enough probs with the youngest who has special needs and autistic tendencies and eats a particular food for a while and then changes to another food,
    Help
    just some easy recipes please that maybe the others will eat, just don't know where to start,and not too expensive please,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I always find pinterest the best site for inspiration/recipes etc. Just go on and search "vegetarian" you'll get tonnes of really interesting recipes, usually more exciting than the basic veggie stuff that gets handed out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I'd recommend recipes where you can "hide" the vegetables.

One thing I love doing is oven-roasting courgettes, aubergines, peppers, mushrooms and onions with a good bit of garlic and some sprig of rosemary. Once it's cooled down a bit you can put that in a food processor and blend it to a paste.

Mixed with some grated hard cheese, it makes a fantastic filling for cannelloni or lasagna, for example. Or you can just add it to tomato sauce and make a very filling pasta dish.

Another big thing in our house would be pulses - lentils and beans. You could make things like falafel really easy at home, a tin of chickpeas,onion, bit of garlic is all you need.

Also, any kind of soup you could think of - roasted peppers and tomato, asparagus and pea, butternut squash, minestrone, split yellow pea, broccoli and cheese....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Check out Minimalist Baker website - all of her recipes are fairly quick and easy and mostly vegan, and if you have a food processor it makes the prep work much easier. Plenty of sweet treats there too, your daughter might like making them!

Oh She Glows is another popular site. There's tons of veggie/vegan websites, and there are a couple of threads here about veggie cookbook recommendations :D . I'm a big fan of one-pot meals myself, you could always throw chicken breasts or a couple of chops in the oven if the rest of the family want meat to go with what's in the pot.

Try if you can not to let her become dependant on frozen vegetarian convenience foods as she won't learn to cook properly for herself once she leaves home. (Disclaimer: I always have some sort of frozen veggie things in the freezer for days when I'm too lazy to do anything else, but I try not to depend on them everyday). If she's really committed to this, it might be a chance for you to a) expand your kitchen repertoire, and b) get her to help preparing meals that she can eat.

Also, please ensure she takes a good daily veggie-friendly multivitamin supplement, at least at the start while she's figuring out her preferences and nutritional needs - if she's ok with needles, maybe get some bloods done in a few months to make sure her iron levels etc are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shel64

Thankyou for all the advice, will follow up all, the iron levels will be something I must check in time, especially as my other daughter is thinking of joining her

Advertisement