Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got this back problem?

Options
  • 09-02-2017 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

After suffering pins and needles, with some numbness in hands and lower arms, I finally got an MRI and am waiting to see a neurosurgeon, here's the MRI report:

Disc space narrowing, with disc degeneration and quite marked broad based posterior protrusion of the C4/C5 and C5/C6 intervertebral discs, one of which is distorting the thecal sac, quite obviously abutting the adjacent cervical spinal cord and causing marked encroachment of C5 and C6 nerve roots.

There is disc space narrowing, with disc degeneration and moderate broad based posterior protrusion of the C6/C7 intervertebral disc which is distorting the thecal sac, slightly abutting against the anterior aspect of the cervical spinal cord.

There's more, but that's the worst of it.

I'd love to hear from anyone with similar issues, and how they're getting on. I'm a bit scared about the consultation and future treatment options.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

After suffering pins and needles, with some numbness in hands and lower arms, I finally got an MRI and am waiting to see a neurosurgeon, here's the MRI report:

Disc space narrowing, with disc degeneration and quite marked broad based posterior protrusion of the C4/C5 and C5/C6 intervertebral discs, one of which is distorting the thecal sac, quite obviously abutting the adjacent cervical spinal cord and causing marked encroachment of C5 and C6 nerve roots.

There is disc space narrowing, with disc degeneration and moderate broad based posterior protrusion of the C6/C7 intervertebral disc which is distorting the thecal sac, slightly abutting against the anterior aspect of the cervical spinal cord.

There's more, but that's the worst of it.

I'd love to hear from anyone with similar issues, and how they're getting on. I'm a bit scared about the consultation and future treatment options.

Thanks.

Had issues with my neck a few years back. Cant remember the exact terminology. Continuous pain in right arm numbness and pins and needles in some fingers of right hand.
    Got xrays done. Bad report back. Doc told me that i would have to seriously alter my day to day work and surgery was likely.
    He figured my posture when walking was the culprit. Slouching forward.
    I didn't want drugs to manage pain so he recommended seeing a physio and trying out a few sessions of neck traction.
    1st session of 15 mins was absolute agony. Was hardly able to see the road driving home. I was sore for a few days after. Went for a 30 min traction session a week later and all but fell asleep on the table.
    Numbness went completely after a month or so and I have been perfect since. I still have the letter from doc to book an MRI appointment. Still in the envelope unopened.
    Avoid surgery at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Thanks foxy farmer. Yes, would like to avoid surgery for as long as possible. I am taking anti-inflammatories and nerve block medication. I know that posture is a big part of the problem/solution! Years of slouching forward over a computer keyboard is not helping, I know that for sure, not to mention addicted to my mini iPad, balancing it on my lap every evening.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Mod note

Just a reminder that asking for or giving medical advice is not permitted. Sharing your experiences is fine but please don't suggest what the OP should/shouldn't do. Any queries please PM myself or another mod.

Advertisement