Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck on QFA Life Assurance Exam Buddy Question

Options
  • 09-02-2017 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I'm lost on the solution to this question so I figured I'd ask someone instead of continuing to bang my head against the desk.

Here's the question:

"Brendan invested €50,000 in a unit linked investment bond at an allocation rate of 100% after allowing for the 1% insurance levy when the unit fund price to which the bond is linked was €1.560. The bond has an early encashment and maturity charge of 5% in the first year, reducing by 1% each year thereafter to zero in the 6th and following years. The bond provides a death benefit of 101% of the value of units.

If Brendan dies in year three when the unit price is €1.980, what will be the death benefit payout, before any exit tax deduction?"

Apparently the answer is €62,174. I can't figure out how to arrive at this answer.

He spends €50,000 on the bond - €49,500 of which will purchase units after the levy. He buys the units at €1.560, so he gets 31,730.

When he dies, those units are encashed at €1.980, so he encashment gets €62,825.40 which is multiplied by 101% leaving the death benefit at €63,453.

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks for even reading. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Squiggle

What am i doing wrong?

You haven't allowed for this:

The bond has an early encashment and maturity charge of 5% in the first year, reducing by 1% each year thereafter to zero in the 6th and following years.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 All Around You

Squiggle wrote: »
    What am i doing wrong?

You haven't allowed for this:

The bond has an early encashment and maturity charge of 5% in the first year, reducing by 1% each year thereafter to zero in the 6th and following years.

Thanks for replying.

I considered that, but why would that matter to the death benefit? If he cashed it in instead of dying, obviously it would matter. Unless an encashment and maturity charge is different from an encashment charge.

Advertisement