Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax airbnb

Options
  • 09-02-2017 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Why is airbnb the only holiday let company compelled to provide information about there clients to the tax office ? Or am I wrong ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

katy39 wrote: »
    Why is airbnb the only holiday let company compelled to provide information about there clients to the tax office ? Or am I wrong ?

Id imagine that all holiday let companies include that sort of information in their form 46g.

If they don't I would imagine that given the time and effort spent by Airbnb promoting improper payment of tax by their users that they give some information to Revenue because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

katy39 wrote: »

Is a holiday or a short-term let considered a business activity?

I'm assuming that the owner of a residential property can decide to:
    1) rent to residential tenants;
    2) rent as a holiday let;
    3) rent for short-term weekly or monthly periods, ie less than 6 months;
    4) use AirBnB for daily / weekly visitors.

There seems to be a lot of short-term lets advertised online now compared to a year or two ago and most people are aware of the difficulties people have in finding a place to rent. Do the new rules and regulations for landlords and tenants have anything to do with it?

Just curious..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Sure people can just advertise themselves cut out the use of airbnb

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

It is the income that is the issue here, not the definition of a business activity.
    Airbnb is very profitable now due to the
    1. housing shortage,
    2. expensive hotels,
    3. perceived difficulties with tenants by landlords

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement