Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on converting a hiace ambulance

Options
  • 09-02-2017 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

It's over a year since my beloved bongo was stolen and burnt out , I've been looking every day for a replacement but haven't found it yet. I was looking for something small, another bongo, a transit, a vw - but all the ones I've seem on done deal seem very old.

There is a hiace ambulance that looks promising but I'd have to convert it and change the registerstion. While I can handle the paperwork, I'm not sure I can the conversion. I've found companies that do vw (expensive!) and transits - but hiace conversions seem rare. Is there a reason for this? Are there companies who could do a basic conversion for me? Do ambulances raise red flags in terms of conversions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

sovietpop wrote: »
    but hiace conversions seem rare. Is there a reason for this?

I'd say for every euro you put into a t4/t5 van you'd probably get add 3 euro in value to the converted van. Plus the conversions have been done to death converters can just look online for ideas and there are tons of plans / readymade design, ready made parts, customisation parts available.

If you're talking about the hiace 'powervan' 99-10?, amazingly reliable maybe a bushing every 100k miles. Back suspension can be a bit soft but ambulance probably already has reinforced suspension.

They curve in a lot towards the top, imo high roof always looks a bit like a top hat stuck on top of them and because they have a lifting tailgate theres a scoop out of the back of the high roof to accommodate that which always looks a bit naff. Then there the historical association with travellers (although judging by balinasloe the primastar is the new hiace) now which believe me is alive and well I once brought a wedding cake to the clarion hotel in kinsale in a hiace when the manager saw the cake coming out of the back of a hiace he almost had a panic attack :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sovietpop

We'd the same experience when we rocked up to the Cliff Hotel for lunch in our Bongo. :-)

Thanks for the feedback. I guess we'll just ring around and see if there is anyone who is interested in doing the conversion. #excited

Just been to have a look. It's a 2002 hiace which currently has 8 seats, so more a minibus with room for a wheelchair than an ambulance with a bed. Our current concern is the roof height. We measured and the interior is 1.7 - shy of the needed 1.8 but it has a false interior roof. We need to check that if we get that removed, it'll give us the regulation height. nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Being a bus means VRT has been paid, which is a bonus.

• Advertisement

It's only taxed upto the end of this month, vrt - I thought we would have to pay VRT at 13.3% to get it re-registered as a camper? I am wrong ?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I've a jap import camper, it's the old shape, 91. I love it but it's getting a bit old and rusty now.

I posted links to jap campers in this thread, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96617704 it will give you idea's for layout. It it were me I'd put money into good pars like crash rated seats which add value or can be take to the next van.

thanks! Put a deposit it, because yolo. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

Investigate insurance before you buy!

Wise advice. We've talked to Dolman's and our car insurance company and made sure it is 1.8m high. We also were previously insured with the Motor Caravan Club, so think we could also go back there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

sovietpop wrote:
    Wise advice. We've talked to Dolman's and our car insurance company and made sure it is 1.8m high. We also were previously insured with the Motor Caravan Club, so think we could also go back there.

I think I recall seeing an exclusion for ex ambulances from some insurers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I think I recall seeing an exclusion for ex ambulances from some insurers.

Yeah its says it in the dolmen camper documentation, but my friend had an ex ambulance insured with them for years. You would always convert it to commercial first.

It's not an ambulance as in a vehicle with a bed and equipment, its an ambulance as in a minibus for bringing day patients to a day hospital, iykwim.

sovietpop wrote: »
    iykwim.
    huh! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    huh! :confused:

If you know what i mean

magentis wrote: »
    If you know what i mean

Jeez, some of these abbreviations drive me nuts!:eek: It's as quick to type it out!:D

Apologies for my Internet laziness.

Thanks for the link spacehopper, it's great!

Now we have to find someone to do a conversion. Has anyone any experience with Ceide campers?

Forgot Where I Was?? :O You couldn't have picked a better example of why not to use text shorthand!!:D

It's an embedded link.

• Advertisement

It's an embedded link.
    I know, and that's one of the meanings!

Advertisement