Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat is lame and I've the guilts

Options
  • 08-02-2017 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

One of my cats who is 11+ (she was feral & an adult when she "adopted" me 10 years ago so I'm not sure of her age) is lame since Monday. I noticed it when I got up and took her to the vets that morning. The vet doesn't think anything is broken or dislocated (she had dislocated shoulder before) and gave her an injection and pills. I know it's only been 2.5 days but I'd hoped to see her really improve by now.

I feel so bad as my OH said that I shoved her off the bed (I've no memory of doing it) the previous night (she has a habit of climbing on top of us during the night) and she fell off the bed, that's quite possibly how she got hurt.

She has improved since taking the medication and definitely a couple of hours after giving her the pill she walks with very little limp, then as the day goes on it gets worse.

I know it's not an exact science but does anyone know how long this type of injury might take to heal? The vet gave me 6 days of anti-inflammatories but I don't know if it should take that long to heal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I wouldn't be too concerned about knocking the cat off the bed. It's not a great height - which is the real thing which causes damage, unless they catch themselves on something.

My experience of cats and muscle/tendon injuries is that it usually takes a week or too to sort itself out.

Anti inflams are the best thing. When they're hurt they do tend to look after themselves. As long as there aren't any other cats about annoying her, then she should be grand.

If there is no improvement, or she gets worse, then take her back to the vet. Hopefully all will be ok though.

Advertisement