Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crash: insurance and no claim

Options
  • 08-02-2017 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭

Had a crash few weeks ok, minor damage and agreed to pay for the fix so no insurance needed. Gardai did attend and we both had to present our insurance details to the station. I have gotten the quote for repair and everything booked in, with me paying.
    My insurance is due to renewal in 2 weeks and have a change of company proposal from the broker. Suddenly I get a letter saying a claim could be pending and I can't move company.
    Who informed the insurance company? Is it the Gardai or is it the other guy doing something without me knowing?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

TheDriver wrote: »
    Who informed the insurance company? Is it the Gardai or is it the other guy doing something without me knowing?

Why not ring the insurance company and find out who told them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I rang the broker and they don't know, they're looking into it. Just thought some obvious answer like the Garda putting it into a database might be it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I rang the broker and they don't know, they're looking into it. Just thought some obvious answer like the Garda putting it into a database might be it

No, generally it will only be you or the other driver that would notify them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,840 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's the other driver. Guards don't get involved in notifying anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,189 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sounds like the other driver lodged a claim with your insurance company. Once there is an open claim then no other insurance company will touch you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

After having time to dwell on it over night, it's quite likely the other driver woke up with a nasty case of whiplash the following morning. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Quackster wrote: »
    After having time to dwell on it over night, it's quite likely the other driver woke up with a nasty case of whiplash the following morning. :rolleyes:

Down with these nasty analog biological bodies that won't instantaneously print out a damage report!

It was 2 mirrors and a scratch on his door. The guard noted no injuries so no idea what is happening. He's a neighbour.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

Ask him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

It was 2 mirrors and a scratch on his door. The guard noted no injuries so no idea what is happening. He's a neighbour.....

That's enough to get you refused a quote by Aviva. You gotta dot the is and cross the ts these days, not informing your insurance of car park dents could have you black listed forever.

OK the last bit is... unclear. The insurance guys wouldn't tell me where the line is drawn on potential claims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I would guess he notified his own insurance company who in turn may have got all the details and may have contacted yours.

All ok, turns out he did indeed ring prior to us agreeing the repair (to register the accident) and then rang to withdraw any notion of a claim so its closed with no claim and I can get my cheaper quote

Advertisement