Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House redecoration and a cat

Options
  • 08-02-2017 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

I'm about to start some work on our house - carpeting, flooring, painting, etc.
    We have a 12 year old cat that lives a very comfortable life indoors. She isn't an outdoor cat.

I'm just wondering how to lessen the stress for her. She spends 99% of the day upstairs, so out of the way of the activity. But not away from the noise and strangers. I'm also concerned at her peeing on the new carpet, walls, after everything is done. She did this once, maybe 10 years ago, but i think it was a reaction to a dog having been in the house visiting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

A lot of people swear by Feliway (the plugin version) in situations like the ones you described. I haven't needed to use it personally, maybe some other posters might chip in their experience with it.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Yes. I'd get a feliway diffuser for the room she's kept in during the day. Once the workers are gone of an evening, I'd walk her round the rooms that are having work done, so she can see what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

I think once the cat has somewhere to hide away and shelter while the work goes on then she will be fine.

As for worrying she will pee on the new carpet, etc - you could try rubbing her cheek with a cloth and then rubbing that cloth on the furniture/walls where the "new" smells are, that should transfer her scent and make her feel less like having to baptise the new stuff! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

txs all. Feliway diffuser ordered :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement