Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two separate tv connections from one hdmi pc?

Options
  • 08-02-2017 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

Maybe someone could tell me what to get. I use my PC in the same room as my big TV. I want to connect my large desktop to both screens. I have a 5m hdmi cable to connect to the other side of the room but I don't want to be connecting and disconnecting hdmi cables all the time from the graphics card. Is it possible to get a connection to hook both tvs up from the PC? So both connection show the same picture on both screens at the same time?
    Sorry I'm probably wording this all wrong, but any help would be very much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Maybe someone could tell me what to get. I use my PC in the same room as my big TV. I want to connect my large desktop to both screens. I have a 5m hdmi cable to connect to the other side of the room but I don't want to be connecting and disconnecting hdmi cables all the time from the graphics card. Is it possible to get a connection to hook both tvs up from the PC? So both connection show the same picture on both screens at the same time?
    Sorry I'm probably wording this all wrong, but any help would be very much appreciated!
    Can you connect your monitor with dvi or VGA and use the HDMI for the TV?
    I'm presuming your graphics card has more than one output

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Well I'm dim. Yes, it does have 2 hdmi out's on it. Gx1070 is what I have, doh.

Thanks very much for the fast replies!

So, my graphics card only has one hdmi out connection. Other one is on the motherboard which is no use of course. A switcher wouldn't do the job I think.

I need a connection that will send the one hdmi signal to two different screens. I have no idea what that type of connector would be called though. Anyone know?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

you need a 1:2 splitter, something like this
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet-SPLITTER-Amplifier-Display-Shipping/dp/B001D9P1OW/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1486644586&sr=8-9&keywords=hdmi+splitter+1+input+2+output

cheaper options may be about, but the neet stuff has always worked well.

make sure you get one that is selfpowered(is powered from the wall/an adapter), some use the 5V line on the HDMI cable to power them and that's a terrible solution

mossym wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet-SPLITTER-Amplifier-Display-Shipping/dp/B001D9P1OW/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1486644586&sr=8-9&keywords=hdmi+splitter+1+input+2+output

make sure you get one that is selfpowered(is powered from the wall/an adapter), some use the 5V line on the HDMI cable to power them and that's a terrible solution

You're amazing! Thank you so much for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

The 1070 should have more than one out, just because it is not a HDMI doesnt mean it wont display.

What model 1070 do you have?

You may just need another type of cable.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    The 1070 should have more than one out, just because it is not a HDMI doesnt mean it wont display.

What model 1070 do you have?

You may just need another type of cable.

I'm not at my PC right now, in work. There is 3 others non hdmi connections but no idea what they are TBH. I'll have a look at the graphics card box when I get home later tonight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

for some reason i thought you were a different poster. a 1070 should be able to drive more than 1 hdmi display.you shouldn't need the splitter hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

for some reason i thought you were a different poster. a 1070 should be able to drive more than 1 hdmi display.you shouldn't need the splitter hopefully

Yeah your 1070 will liikely have display port or mini-display port along with the HDMI - if you still have the box there may be display port to hdmi adapter in it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You might have a setting in the BIOS to allow output from your onboard and your GPU, I had one on a build about 5 years ago, can't for the life of me remember the name of the option though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Yeah your 1070 will liikely have display port or mini-display port along with the HDMI - if you still have the box there may be display port to hdmi adapter in it

Id go with the above,an adapter is about £6 on amazon,so about a quarter of the price of the powered hub.

Also means you will have more flexability being able to send two signals if you need it down the road.

Thanks lads! So it turns out I don't need any cables at all. I can use mirecast on my smart TV and it actually works extremely well, like a millisecond delay is all with display. Happy with that and don't have to but anything :) worked out well

Advertisement