Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Braxton Hicks

Options
  • 07-02-2017 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

I'm 35 weeks and have been getting Braxton Hicks for a few weeks now. The most I have ever had was about 2 or 3 in a day and they have never been painful until recently.

On Sunday night I had 3 big ones very soon after each other. Then yesterday (Monday), I had them constantly all day. They were happening every 3-10 minutes and lasting way longer than normal. In a lot of cases, my bump wasn't even getting fully soft again in between them.

I happened to be in the hospital in the morning so they did a trace and the contractions were showing up on it. They said it was fine if they weren't painful so we left and had lunch in town.

Not long after that, they actually did start to hurt. I also got incredibly bad back pain and every time I had one of the Braxton Hicks, the pain got worse. We went straight back over to the hospital and they monitored me. I was convinced I was going into labour because the midwives were saying Braxton Hicks contractions don't hurt. When I asked if they thought it was early labour coming on they said it might be and might not and we would have to wait and see.

Anyway, I was put in a bed and I just lay there on my side for a long time. At about 9pm the contractions just sort of eased off and then stopped. They let me out of the hospital at about 10.30 as they were sure I wasn't in labour.

Today I have had about 5 Braxton Hicks, none of them painful at all. Baby is as active as ever and I feel fine.

Does anyone know what was going on? The doctor and midwives weren't really able to give me an answer other than that they see all sorts of things and I just have to take it as it comes.

Does it mean labour might not be far away? Or does it mean nothing? Has anyone else had this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I got false Labour on my 3rd pregnancy at about 40+6. I was full sure I was going but after about 7 hours of strong contractions it's just went away.. i was induced a week later ;)
    Unless you are dilating I'd treat it as a false Labour and just do what you did if it happens again. After a few hours you won't be unsure if it is labour!
    Your body is practicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

So is what I had false labour? When I looked that up it seems to say false labour happens not long before real labour, anything from 24 hours to 2 weeks. Is that right? If so, does that mean I might go by 37 weeks or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

So is what I had false labour? When I looked that up it seems to say false labour happens not long before real labour, anything from 24 hours to 2 weeks. Is that right? If so, does that mean I might go by 37 weeks or so?

I wouldn't get your hopes up that you will go early. However it's a great sign that your body is preparing so hopefully these warm ups will help you will have a shorter and easier labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

I was having exactly as you described about two weeks before I actually went into labour.
    I was told it was braxton hicks and yes it did bloody hurt like you described.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,283 ✭✭✭✭fits

I had similar contractions at thirty weeks and was in hospital for two nights. It went away then and I never went into labour at all in the end. Had a section at 38 weeks for the twins. Wasn't favourable for induction after all that.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. It's great to know I'm not alone!

Did you all continue to get normal Braxton Hicks (not sore ones) afterwards?

I've gone back to having non painful ones now but they have definitely increased in intensity and frequency. I've been having them all day today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I had Braxton Hicks on and off for the last month of my last pregnancy. Some of the contractions were sore, some not. Three weeks before I was due, I had 2 hours of BHs increasing in frequency and intensity but then they just went away. I did have less painful ones every day after that. I had the baby a week early in the end.
    (In comparison, I didn't have a single contraction, BH or otherwise, on my first pregnancy, until I was induced at a week over).

I had another episode of it there yesterday. I was getting proper, painful contractions with extreme back pain. They did a trace and it looked like I might have been in early labour as the contractions were regular and showing up very strong on the trace, but it eased off again after several hours. They did an internal exam and confirmed it wasn't labour. They said it's not unusual and it might happen again before the real thing. I don't know how I'm supposed to know the difference!

Again, I'm back to getting lots of the non painful ones now.

Advertisement