Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming Tax Back

Options
  • 07-02-2017 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi,

I am wondering about claiming tax back. I have requested a p21 in recent years but I was recently told that it may be possible to claim Flat Rate Expenses. I work in a hospital as a Supplies Officer, part of the Materials Management Department. I wouldn't necessarily be considered a porter or general operative. Under the conditions on the PAYE Anytime site it gives the option of laundering your own uniform which I would do when Porter or General Operative is selected. I am just wondering would this classify me as a Porter or General Operative to them and I would be able to select these flat rate expenses?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Moved from state benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

KinsellaJ wrote: »
    Hi,

I am wondering about claiming tax back. I have requested a p21 in recent years but I was recently told that it may be possible to claim Flat Rate Expenses. I work in a hospital as a Supplies Officer, part of the Materials Management Department. I wouldn't necessarily be considered a porter or general operative. Under the conditions on the PAYE Anytime site it gives the option of laundering your own uniform which I would do when Porter or General Operative is selected. I am just wondering would this classify me as a Porter or General Operative to them and I would be able to select these flat rate expenses?

Thanks.

Unfortunately, no. The employment classifications are pretty specific. These classes of employment get Flat Rate Exps as their unions negotiate them with Revenue on their behalf.

That being said, if you can prove that you are incurring expenses wholly, necessarily and exclusively in order to be able to perform your duties, you may be able to get some tax relief. So, if you have to wear a specific uniform for work that you have to launder yourself for example.

Advertisement