Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruger mark 4 or S&W 22 Victory

Options
  • 07-02-2017 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi folks, has any one had any experience of either of these two pistols?

RFD says that he is going to get some S&W 22 Victoy's next week.
    And could get a Ruger mark 4, if I 'am interested.

I have had no experience of these pistols, there is a lot of information
    about them on the internet, a lot of American sites and you-tube mostly positive with
    the odd complaint.

But has any one here or knows of any one who has had any experience?
    As some of the feedback is from people who have been " given" the pistols
    to review!

I have shot a Browning Buckmark and a Ruger possibly a mark 3 at my
    local shooting range. The Ruger made my shooting look good,
    it was very accurate!

Which is why I was asking the RDF about the new model and he mentioned
    the new S&W 22 victory.

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Cheers Doire4mee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Wadi14

or a Hammerli xesse and you have an entry level target pistol

• Registered Users Posts: 11 doire4mee

Hi Wadi14, thanks going to look at a Hammerli next.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 The Collector

You've probably already made your choice weeks ago but just in case you haven't you should be aware that all Ruger Mark IV's have been recalled. https://ruger.com/dataProcess/markIVRecall/

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

The RFD you mentioned, is it Paddy Fagan by any chance. I ordered a S&W Victory a number of months ago and am waiting for it to come it. I know Paddy was waiting on an export permit from the USA.

He did get 3 or 4 in earlier in the year and I was lucky to meet one of the lads who got one. Unfortunately I didn't have time to wait to try shoot the pistol but it seems like a very nice pistol and I have owned the Hammerli X-esse Sport.

If it is Paddy and he has some coming in next week then more than likely one of those are mine. If you want to see or try it out let me know.

I have a load of accessories waiting for be added to it, TK Trigger, TK Halo, Volquartsen Rail, Volquartsen Extactor, Altamont Grips. I also have a Volquartsen i-Flute Barrel ordered and waiting on export from the USA. Your more than welcome to try it before and after I install the upgrades.

One thing to keep in mind if you are ordering a new pistol, a RFD cannot import a pistol until they have a buyer with a licence for it. So the process is

1. Pay a deposit and get a serial number
    2. Apply for you licence with the serial (can take up to 3 months to get)
    3. Once you get your licence the RFD need to apply for an import permit for the pistol (2-3 weeks)
    4. Once the RFD get the import permit the RFD in the USA needs to apply for an export permit (5 weeks)
    5. RFD in the USA ships (1-2 weeks)

So from the moment you say yes I want that pistol you are looking at 4+ months, average about 6 months before you have it in your hands. Lately the USA are very slow at issuing export permits for some reason. I am waiting like a kid at Christmas for the Victory to show up, likewise with the Volquartsen barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

That's if everything goes as planned and your RFD is chasing things up for you. I was waiting 8 months for my beretta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

Its in the best interest of the RFD to get the pistol to you as soon as possible. You've only paid him a deposit, he/she has to pay the full price so the sooner they get it to you the sooner they get paid.

Can see any RFD wanting to be out of pocket any longer than needed

• Registered Users Posts: 11 doire4mee

Hi I bought a Ruger mark 4 about a month ago from a dealer in the North. I only checked with him last week

And he said there was a bit of delay but did not elaborate!!

I think I now know why. Thank you for the info and link!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 The Collector

doire4mee wrote: »
    Hi I bought a Ruger mark 4 about a month ago from a dealer in the North. I only checked with him last week

And he said there was a bit of delay but did not elaborate!!

I think I now know why. Thank you for the info and link!
    I'm seriously looking at the Mark IV right now myself as it's a great gun and so much easier to take down than it's predecessors but it seems that there's some teething problems with the revamp they released last September. I spoke to a Northern dealer yesterday and he said that Ruger will send him the new parts and he'll retrofit them as opposed to sending the gun back to the factory which is what will happen with ones held by US based owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

PSXDupe wrote: »

One thing to keep in mind if you are ordering a new pistol, a RFD cannot import a pistol until they have a buyer with a licence for it.

I know this is the process with pistols but it's completely illegal. It's a totally made up rule with no legislation behind it.

Advertisement