Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Groomer in North Dublin for 6 month Puppy

Options
  • 07-02-2017 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice/suggestions from peoples experience. I've a 6month old Portuguese Water Dog and he's in need of a good trim etc. He's only had his nails clipped once in the groomers but I'm wondering if anyone has any groomers they would recommend. I found suggestions in some old posts but couldn't find the groomer anymore.

I've heard of some horror stories of dogs being mistreated or just shaved and the like, so any advice would be really welcome.

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

curly or wavy coat?? Gorgeous dogs! You're very sensible to find recommendation for a good knowledgeable groomer - they're an rare-ish breed, and since u will have to have him groomed very often, it makes sense to find someone who will do it properly, and wont cause the puppy any undue stress/anxiety

I knew someone who always had a "lion cut" on their P.W. SPaniel - always thought he looked lopsided :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You don't say where about in North Dub. Olivier is based in Tyrrelstown very good. My friend does her shopping in the Lidl there when she leaves her dog in lol! :phttps://www.facebook.com/GroomedbyOlivier/?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

#aonb - he's a wavy coat but it's really just a ball of fluff. Not really looking at the lion cut, at least not this time. I think it'd look hilarious though! Any thoughts on a groomer??

#tk123 - do you have any experience with Olivier yourself?? I'll check him out, send to get good reviews on Facebook.

#tk123 - do you have any experience with Olivier yourself?? I'll check him out, send to get good reviews on Facebook.

Yep he's groomed my guys and lots of my friend's dogs are regular customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

#aonb - he's a wavy coat but it's really just a ball of fluff. Not really looking at the lion cut, at least not this time. I think it'd look hilarious though! Any thoughts on a groomer??

Think we definitely NEED to see a photograph please!

Dont know any groomers up your way. Might be worth checking your local vets, sometimes vets have a grooming service, or may have some recommendations for you.

Its so important to find a good groomer, who knows what they are doing, but who knows how to handle your dog too. Theres a woman Ive seen in action near me, and I wouldnt let her groom my hairbrush :mad: yet she has heaps of customers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

aonb wrote:
    Its so important to find a good groomer, who knows what they are doing, but who knows how to handle your dog too. Theres a woman Ive seen in action near me, and I wouldnt let her groom my hairbrush yet she has heaps of customers!

This is so true! Out groomer is a godsend. She's a mobile groomer with a fantastic set up. One of ours hasn't had good experiences with having his nails cut with other groomers so she's really had her work cut out gaining his trust. But she comes into the house nice and gently gives him plenty of space at first and then she's on the ground beside him talking away with him and off out they go together then not a bother! What impresses me is that she has the harness and muzzles etc but doesn't just opt for them coz its the easiest option. He's had his nails cut minus muzzle and minus me trying to hang onto him for dear life.
    If you find a great groomer hang onto them!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

Bells21 wrote: »
    This is so true! Out groomer is a godsend. She's a mobile groomer with a fantastic set up. One of ours hasn't had good experiences with having his nails cut with other groomers so she's really had her work cut out gaining his trust. But she comes into the house nice and gently gives him plenty of space at first and then she's on the ground beside him talking away with him and off out they go together then not a bother! What impresses me is that she has the harness and muzzles etc but doesn't just opt for them coz its the easiest option. He's had his nails cut minus muzzle and minus me trying to hang onto him for dear life.
    If you find a great groomer hang onto them!

Bells21, who is your groomer? You can PM me if you don't want to put it up online.

#aonb, I will try to find a good one to post! Watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice/suggestions from peoples experience. I've a 6month old Portuguese Water Dog and he's in need of a good trim etc. He's only had his nails clipped once in the groomers but I'm wondering if anyone has any groomers they would recommend. I found suggestions in some old posts but couldn't find the groomer anymore.

I've heard of some horror stories of dogs being mistreated or just shaved and the like, so any advice would be really welcome.

Thanks.

The reason dogs are shaved in most cases is because the owners don't brush their dogs coats or else they wash their dogs too often which results in the dogs coat getting matted.

Really sorry OP we're in Wexford and as good as the groomer is for traveling I think Dublin would definitely be out of range. I was just reiterating the point of finding a good one and, as the other poster said, just because they have lots of clients etc doesn't necessarily mean that they have the best approach to dogs. Do research like you are and find one that you're comfortable leaving your dog with.

The one I recommended has also studied dog training and is brilliant with dogs and handling different dogs needs etc. I'm quite picky where I leave my dogs lol :p

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote:
    The one I recommended has also studied dog training and is brilliant with dogs and handling different dogs needs etc. I'm quite picky where I leave my dogs lol

That groomer obviously cares an awful lot about their four legged clients. Yea I'm fairly picky too, think more thought went into picking a groomer than finding a hairdresser for myself.

Bells21 wrote: »
    That groomer obviously cares an awful lot about their four legged clients. Yea I'm fairly picky too, think more thought went into picking a groomer than finding a hairdresser for myself.

:pac::pac::pac: Yeah they get the best of everything and we make do lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

tk123 wrote: »
    The one I recommended has also studied dog training and is brilliant with dogs and handling different dogs needs etc. I'm quite picky where I leave my dogs lol :p

Having seen Groomed by Olivers work I would also recommend him.

It is really difficult to find a decent groomer & judging by some of the horror photos I have seen of groomed aka shaved breeds ( which should never be shaved) the OP really needs to be careful otherwise her dog could end up looking like a Poodle! I say this as someone who grooms my dogs myself to Show Standard.

One of my dogs has gone off for the day to a Hand Stripping assessement. My dogs are regularly used so there are groomers out there who want to know how to correctly groom hand stripped breeds. The OP is right to be doing her homework.

Advertisement