Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Permission expiring

Options
  • 06-02-2017 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All,

I have planning permission for a single dwelling and associated works, that has already had an extension of duration - my query is that the permission expires in 4 weeks and the house is only half the way to finishing. I spoke to a friend who said I would need a new planning application to either continue and finish building or else I could finish the house and seek retention should any issue arise ie. someone rats me out.

Cash is tight at the moment and I can't really afford a planning consultant ATM just wondering do I need planning permission to finish the house?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi All,

I have planning permission for a single dwelling and associated works, that has already had an extension of duration - my query is that the permission expires in 4 weeks and the house is only half the way to finishing. I spoke to a friend who said I would need a new planning application to either continue and finish building or else I could finish the house and seek retention should any issue arise ie. someone rats me out.

Cash is tight at the moment and I can't really afford a planning consultant ATM just wondering do I need planning permission to finish the house?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

If it is not substantially complete by the time the planning expires, yes, you require planning for the completion of the works.

All depends if you get a visit from planning enforcement or contribution section. In Dublin they have a dedicated section that checks on expired planning applications.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,301 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Most councils would consider "block work complete" as being substantially complete.

If it's that far, apply for an extension for as long as it will take to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 galwayman10

Excellent stuff lads thanks. I'll chance it and seek retention if anything happens!
    Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

It as you say already been granted an extension of duration. There are no more extensions of that permission allowed, it simply runs out in 4 weeks. In planning terms the new application will be to retain works to date and permission to complete planning ref. No. 123456. The Council is likely to look favourably on finishing off a building site.

Advertisement