Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNA Courses

Options
  • 06-02-2017 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi All, Just looking for some advice please.... I am interested in doing a level 6 SNA course. I have information from the Progressive College to do L5&L6. Can anyone advice where else is possible to do them please, I am based in Cork. TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

When I you say level 6 SNA course, do you mean a full QQI Level 6 award or just a module? Be careful of this as I know of people who have spent a lot of money doing similar courses only to realise that it's just one module. In interviews you'd be up against people with full level 5, 6 or 7 awards.

ETBs run QQI level 5 and 6 courses in adult and further education colleges and in some secondary schools and they usually offer full awards at a tiny fraction of the cost of private providers. Check Cork ETB's website. Also, it's useful to know that the qualification to become an SNA is a childcare one - Early Childhood Care and Education.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jellytots03

When I you say level 6 SNA course, do you mean a full QQI Level 6 award or just a module? Be careful of this as I know of people who have spent a lot of money doing similar courses only to realise that it's just one module. In interviews you'd be up against people with full level 5, 6 or 7 awards.

ETBs run QQI level 5 and 6 courses in adult and further education colleges and in some secondary schools and they usually offer full awards at a tiny fraction of the cost of private providers. Check Cork ETB's website. Also, it's useful to know that the qualification to become an SNA is a childcare one - Early Childhood Care and Education.

Thanks so much Thats exactly what it looks like!! Ill ring them to find out for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Teapot30

As the last poster said be very aware of these scam courses, I got caught out 2 years ago, I applied to an SNA course in my local institute of further education, spoke to the head of the course before starting it and we chatted for ages, she told me id be qualified to work in a special needs school, paid full price then discovered on the course it was just one module and our teacher wasnt even properly trained, she had just done fetac 6 course herself. You can teach evening classes in further education colleges in any subject without any formal qualifications yourself. Just something to keep in mind while applying to courses. The full Fetac 6 with 8 (I think) modules should be full time over 1 year or part time over 2 or 3 years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If a course promises a full qualification through an evening class, it should be lasting years.

Advertisement