Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Move - Dod still crying at night, a month later. Help!!

Options
  • 06-02-2017 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

We moved house a month ago with an 8 year old Malamute.

She was doing really well and seemed to be settling down. She's still crying at night though for a minute or two, but for the last 3 nights she's decided she wants to howl for a bit. This could be anytime from 11pm to 2pm, depending on when we go to bed, which leaves me very conscious of the neighbours.

It's driving me mad that she just hasn't settled 100%. Is there anything that I can do?

I'd like to add that her whole routine has changed since we moved, which I'm still feeling very guilty about. She gets walked a little bit more though, to ease my own guilt. Is there any advice that anyone can give?? I'm really enjoying the new house, only for her!!! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Can you explain a little more about how her routine has changed in the home? Particularly how has her sleeping arrangement changed from the last home to this new one? It might help narrow things down a bit.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

VonVix wrote: »
    Can you explain a little more about how her routine has changed in the home? Particularly how has her sleeping arrangement changed from the last home to this new one? It might help narrow things down a bit.

Well, when i was living at my folks, my mam was in and out of the house 3 times a day, due to her job, so even though the dog was not constantly interacted with, she knew that there was someone coming and going. She is now left on her own in the new place, while I'm at work - please dont make me feel any nore guilty about this than i already do!

She was used to having one walk a day, she now gets two. One in the morning before i go to work, and one in the evening.

The night routine in the previous house was that she was kept in the kitchen and would sleep against a set of double doors, on her blanket. We could come and go through a separate door and not distueb her much. She'd be let out to pee and then we'd go up to bed. She wouldn't bat an eye and stayed completely quiet, even if we were walking around upstairs.
    Now, she stays in the sitting room with us all evening and when we go to bed, i let her out, get her bed ready, give her a rub, and then walk out. My boyfriend thinks this is the problem. That there's more emphasis on the fact that we're going up and she's being left alone. I can understand that. She lies against the double doors here too but thats our only way into the kitchen.

My family also keep telling me she's picking up on my worry and tension when I'm leaving her, which is probably also true, but how can i help that?

Sorry for the long-winded reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Have you any idea how she's doing when she's left alone all day? Setting up a small camera would be a good thing - see how she's doing then. You wouldn't want her to be howling when she's in on her own during the day.

It could be that she's stressing thinking she's on her own now in the evenings, even when she actually isn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

kathleen37 wrote: »
    Have you any idea how she's doing when she's left alone all day? Setting up a small camera would be a good thing - see how she's doing then. You wouldn't want her to be howling when she's in on her own during the day.

It could be that she's stressing thinking she's on her own now in the evenings, even when she actually isn't...

I've pretended to go out a couple of times in the day and just listened from the hall. So far ive only heard about ten mins of crying, before she settles down, but my boyfriend has done the same twice, and she obly howled once. We put a note in the next door neighbours though to let us know if she's disturbing him. So far, no complaints.
    My boyfriend suggested recording her alright. I couldn't watch it if she does fret. I'm finding it all difficult enough. He'd have to. Night time whining is just worrying. Like having a baby, waitng for it to settle. Haha.

She cam hear us mooching around above her when we go up to bed. She seems to whine more when she hears us. We do be afraid ro move!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Think of it this way. She had her regular routine in her old house. Suddenly shes in this strange new house. Your mum who was in/out all day is no longer coming, you are out all day, shes in this strange new house... You go to bed at night and shes still in her strange new house!

Its only a month... its still all strange to her - dogs are creatures of routine and habit. You need to establish a new routine.

Would it be possible for your or your partner to come home at lunch time, and take her out for a quick trot and give her a biscuit then settle down for another few hours. NB! Leave the radio on so the house isnt too quiet - all outside noises are different/new/worrying. If you/your partner work too far from home to get back to the house, could you get a dog walker to come to take her out? If you have a dog loving friend that walks every day, you could give her some € to bring your dog for a walk? Get some nice chunky bones at the butcher, and give her one before you leave the house in the mornings. Buy some KONGS and fill with peanut butter, freeze, and give her when you leave in the morning.

Since she is on her own all day long (not trying to guilt-trip you here, shes your dog and you love and take care of her) would you make an exception and put her bed on the landing outside your bedroom, with the door open, so she can hear/see you?!? You could even bring her bed into the bedroom if she would settle...

Dont guilt yourself out over this, she will settle down to a new routine in her new home, it just take time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement