Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Startup a Creche In Home Garden

Options
  • 06-02-2017 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hey there, I am planning to start up a creche in my back garden. My back garden is 7.5m * 8m (a nice rectangle). My plan is to build a 7.1m * 3.5m garden room to facility the creche. This garden room will separate with the main house.

Regarding the garden room and the childcare business, what plan permission do I need and how to apply plan permission for the garden room? Can any agency apply for the permission for me? Or some construction company can build the rooms and apply for the permission? Or even possible to start a creche in the back garden?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

This was covered sometime ago here and if I recall correctly the project was abandoned due to the hugh liability issues around it, as well as compliance with all the creche related rules.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

http://www.dcya.gov.ie/documents/publications/welikethisplace.pdf

Design that meets above & ideally checked with HSE
    Planning permission & planning levys
    Fire cert
    Disability access cert
    Tender / builder selection
    Construction
    HSE approval

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

You do need planning permission, as what you are proposing to build is a commercial premises (not a shed/garden room). There are lots of other criteria and regulations that also have to be met.

You are very unlikely to get planning permission for a creche in your back garden...especially given the size of the garden!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You need planning, Fire Safety Certificate and a Disability Access Certificate.

http://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/wphappcriteria.display

Plan Ref No. 2118/14

Planning is only the start. Technically you can get planning, but you then have to satisfy the HSE with regards to design.

The above project gained planning, was about to commence and then realised they had no fire Cert and DAC, the costs of which including compliance with the HSE Requirements made this project a dead duck in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

what about parking .
    total nightmare for everyone unless you have space

• Advertisement

what about parking .
    total nightmare for everyone unless you have space

May not require dedicated parking as it's deemed a drop off service, it can be annoying to neighbours but it may not stop a planning getting granted as I linked above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

kceire wrote: »
    May not require dedicated parking as it's deemed a drop off service, it can be annoying to neighbours but it may not stop a planning getting granted as I linked above.

more of a general point rather than planning

• Registered Users Posts: 47 c00114110

Thanks for all your reply. And provide that useful information. In general, you said it is not impossible but will be very hard.

Here is idea came from [snip]

If they already did, there should be a way to do it. I will try to the step @BryanF suggested.

If you know any ideas, suggestions, information, please share with me.

c00114110 wrote: »
    Thanks for all your reply. And provide that useful information. In general, you said it is not impossible but will be very hard.

Here is idea came from [snip]

If they already did, there should be a way to do it. I will try to the step @BryanF suggested.

If you know any ideas, suggestions, information, please share with me.

They could have Planning, Fire Cert and DAC approval.
    Its possible as I highlighted above, you just have to engage someone professional to oversee the work and apply for the required permissions, fire cert and DAC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

Before you hire anyone, Google HSE childcare regulations which will give you an idea of space requirements per child and per age group of child. As regards planning in housing estates, it's the scale of it that's key. There are always issues with neighbours and parking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: Link removed to a house for sale (by a third party/not by the OP).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

Is it a semi D or detached house??, maybe talk to neighbours before you do this get a feeling for what they think about it regarding noise level and disruption when kids been dropped off. Are neighbours out during the day or do they work shift work, big issue with noise level if your neighbours work nights and are trying to sleep during they day.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 c00114110

Is it a semi D or detached house??, maybe talk to neighbours before you do this get a feeling for what they think about it regarding noise level and disruption when kids been dropped off. Are neighbours out during the day or do they work shift work, big issue with noise level if your neighbours work nights and are trying to sleep during they day.

It is a semi D house. I know neighbours are big factor here.

Advertisement