Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The makings of a good race.

Options
  • 06-02-2017 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

I'm sure this kind of a thread has been done before but I'm just wondering what are the things that attract you to certain races or what small things have you noticed at races that you thought was good that you don't normally see at races?
    For me the main things I look out for is club ran races, AAI certified, chip timing, a fair course if it's a road race (not to hilly ), a nice spread of food afterwards 😎 , and good stewarding. (I've heard of runners going the wrong way but never happened to me yet) If I know it's a race that attracts fast runners that also is important for me. Organisers can't do much about runners getting isolated but it's nice to run in races that are well supported by the local community is always great when that happens.

I think price is a factor for many but if most of the above is there I don't mind paying a bit extra. It's always good when a race offers a discount to other clubs if they send 10, 15, etc runners. I like running with my team mates. I know goodie bags/t shirts/medals will attract some rightly or wrongly but it's not a issue for me.

On small things I've noticed was at Roscommon 10 mile last year they had warm pasta which was nice. I don't normally see warm food after races. I can't think of many other things small that stood out for me but I'd be interested to hear from others here from club and independent runners.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Road closures

Or not necessarily closures, but runners separated from traffic. In Raheny and the Terenure 5 mile, for example, you run along the side of a road that has traffic. But you're in a bus/cycle lane on the left, and you are staying left, and there are cones and stewards to separate the race from the traffic.

I'm not keen on races where in theory you have the full width of the road to run on, and you are making right turns, but you could make one of those turns and find a car coming straight at you. Or you are running down a road that is only wide enough for two cars, and there is traffic in both directions. Or there are cars coming from sideroads or driveways through the course.

(yes, I do have particular races in mind)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Before people assembled into the pen on a recent 10k small race they called out predicted time bands and people entered the starting area based on that. Was a small thing but I thought it was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

1. Accuracy - measure it correctly and ensure whoever sets up the course follows the brief and the course director should then check that. Accurately placed km/mile markers.
    2. Marshalls need to be briefed and be active on their junctions rather than passive.
    3. Safety - which comes from having a proper risk assessment with input from the local authorities, a H&S plan and an emergency plan.
    4. Somewhere to congregate afterwards, a cuppa and something to eat is always welcome.
    5. Clear directional signage to 1. Get to the venue and 2. On the course.

Anything else is a bonus, chip timing is nice if there are > 100, water and water station stewards that know what they are doing if the race is >5k.
    I've never entered a race because of the tee shirt or medal, I will occasionally enter a race because of the course profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Scenery .... I really enjoy the Connemara and Kinvara halves as well as the Kilnaboy 10 mile. All located in rugged, stunning countryside. You get lost in your thoughts when you're racing in beautiful places.

I also like a race series because of the value for money and once you're signed up, you're motivated to complete the series. The Galway race series is really well organised by local clubs and it's a testament to it that it sells out in about 3 minutes each year. The Clare Run series is also great value, a 5km, 5mile, 10km and 10 mile for €55. All really run events and taken care of by local athletics clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Neady83 wrote: »
    Scenery .... I really enjoy the Connemara and Kinvara halves as well as the Kilnaboy 10 mile. All located in rugged, stunning countryside. You get lost in your thoughts when you're racing in beautiful places.

I also like a race series because of the value for money and once you're signed up, you're motivated to complete the series. The Galway race series is really well organised by local clubs and it's a testament to it that it sells out in about 3 minutes each year. The Clare Run series is also great value, a 5km, 5mile, 10km and 10 mile for €55. All really run events and taken care of by local athletics clubs.

No offence, but how do you take in the scenery when your pushing yourself to the max?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

No offence, but how do you take in the scenery when your pushing yourself to the max?

Half marathons - you might be pushing yourself to the max but at half marathon pace there's still time to look around and even if you're looking straight ahead you can't help but notice the limestone walls of the Burren or the ginormous mountains in Connemara.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭Cartman78

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    1. Accuracy - measure it correctly and ensure whoever sets up the course follows the brief and the course director should then check that. Accurately placed km/mile markers.
    2. Marshalls need to be briefed and be active on their junctions rather than passive.
    3. Safety - which comes from having a proper risk assessment with input from the local authorities, a H&S plan and an emergency plan.
    4. Somewhere to congregate afterwards, a cuppa and something to eat is always welcome.
    5. Clear directional signage to 1. Get to the venue and 2. On the course.

Anything else is a bonus, chip timing is nice if there are > 100, water and water station stewards that know what they are doing if the race is >5k.
    I've never entered a race because of the tee shirt or medal, I will occasionally enter a race because of the course profile.

Agree 100% with the above.

It is nice if the results are published somewhere too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Half marathons - you might be pushing yourself to the max but at half marathon pace there's still time to look around and even if you're looking straight ahead you can't help but notice the limestone walls of the Burren or the ginormous mountains in Connemara.

A clubmate of mine, who is an international mountain runner, once said that that was something he liked about tough uphill races as well. He said in races like UTdMB, at some bits even the top runners would be doing 12 minute pace, so you have a bit of time to look at the view!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Also, I think when there's beautiful, rural scenery for the whole race, even if you're killing yourself you retain a sort of jumbled impression of it. I know I've done some 5ks etc in forests where I was really trying, and couldn't tell you which turns I took etc, but I still had an overall impression of trees and trail and it being beautiful. On the other hand, I did a 10k in Washington DC around Capitol hill, and I thought '2 birds with 1 stone -- I'll sightsee as I race!' Not a chance :) - all I remember is being hot, and trying to keep up with the man in white compression socks ahead of me -- I didn't register a single historical / tourist sight!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Would prize money be a factor for many here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Not as something that I'm expecting to win :), but a good range of prizes is usually an indicator that the race is interested in giving something back and is not just a money-making venture

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

(Should clarify before I make my comments I think I have earned approximately 30e over 20 years of running in prize money)

I think this usually shows a good idea of the organizers motives

(off on a bit of a tangent here so apologies)

I remember the organizer of a race I would hold as a good example what a really good race looks like in this country discussing something along these lines a few weeks back and he made the point that majority of races aren't actually targeting the people who have been running a few years. Its all about entry level runners with the odd splashing of price money to attract one or two top level athletes.

Personally I find that the depth of the race is usually a good indicator of race quality, those who have been around the block enough to know the good points and bad points but don't have any incentives like a decent purse (to attract those in with a shot of covering costs etc)

In an ideal world a good race would aim try and reward those who stay in the sport more long term in a tangible way (be it deeper prize pools in terms of prizes for top 10 or qualification times for certain starting corrals etc)

Overall for me main things I have looked for in a race over the last few years;

- Organisers who have a good consistent track record of putting on well organised races
    - I know money is going back into the sport (whether it's as a athletics club fund raiser or from prize money perspective)
    - basing off results a deep field so I am not running on my own for large parts
    - Championship races

For me I think deeper fields has probably even trumped faster courses so not all races have to be pancake flat "PB courses" as long as I know I will have a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

I've won a 20 Euro meal voucher for Murphy's Hotel in Tinahely and a 10 Euro voucher for Avondale sports in Rathdrum, so NO!

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭The Bin Man

I've won a 20 Euro meal voucher for Murphy's Hotel in Tinahely and a 10 Euro voucher for Avondale sports in Rathdrum, so NO!

Humble brag.:)

A well organised race with a good reputation and at a fair price with plenty of prizes and food.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I love a good club race - cheap to enter, well run, tea and goodies at the end and a bit of craic afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I love the community races in the country where everyone piles back to the town hall afterwards for tea and cake....

Tara AC 5km would be a good example.

On a related thing, re road closures......I did a cycling sportif where we were routed onto the hard shoulder of the motorway bypassing Ashbourne. Trucks thundering past us for about 3 kilometres.

To say I could not fuppin believe it is putting it mildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

can't believe no one mentioned bling yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

There are a small number of runners that prize money, in itself, might be a factor.

When you see some lad from say Kildare showing up for races in Sligo, Limerick, Kerry and Tipp and winning local 5ks.....its not for the scenery.

However, for the rest of us - if I win an envelope with 30 euro in it.......the money itself doesn't matter to me, but its bloody nice to get it.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    On a related thing, re road closures......I did a cycling sportif where we were routed onto the hard shoulder of the motorway bypassing Ashbourne. Trucks thundering past us for about 3 kilometres.

To say I could not fuppin believe it is putting it mildly.

We saw something similar on the way out to Newmarket last summer - a time trial going on in the hard shoulder of the motorway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

Chip timed, good grub afterwards and definitely a t-shirt!!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Races that have prizes for M/F o40, o50, o60s are great for rewarding those who stick with the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Races that have prizes for M/F o40, o50, o60s are great for rewarding those who stick with the sport.

Very true.

No one is going to earn millions from running Irish races but I really do think rewarding achievement is very important. When you see a race, particularly a race that gets a medium to big field, not even bothered giving out a decent prize fund it says it all about the race and organiser. It's really not about the money. It's simply acknowledging a person's effort and hard work.

The age categories are very important in that regard.

I won't name and shame but there are a few races out there, big races, doing nothing for the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I love my collection of jingle bells mugs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Nothing new here but the races that I keep coming back to:

- feature decent courses, free of obstruction and are accurately measured
    - Don't charge an arm and a leg
    - Release results accurately and in a reasonable time. Doesn't need to be within hours but not much more than a day
    - Depth, such that the 16 minute, 20 minute, 24 minute 5k-er isn't running by themselves and have a chance to be pulled along
    - A bit of a feed after. I love races with a cup of tea and opportunity for a chat afterwards.

A lot of the established Meath based club races provide these things, and I'm sure clubs in other parts of the country do too. I often find the simplest, relatively no frills races are best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

The makings of a good race. Hills, steep ones, varying terrain, wind, hail stones, scary descents. Chats afterwards in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 lostintipp

I agree with those that say a good feed as I judge a race on if there is a good amount of tea, cake and sandwiches on offer after. Medals and t shirts are all very nice but they usually just get stuck in a drawer.

Advertisement