Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PayPal payment issue

Options
  • 06-02-2017 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

I have been a PayPay customer for many years and have had no issues whatsoever with service etc. etc.

I recently purchased an item from a UK based company, the payment which amounted €25.00 was subject to a review by PayPal, thus delaying the finalization of the transaction for 2 days. I sought an explanation but was advised ........
    ''PayPal’s Compliance Department has reviewed your account and identified activity that may be in violation of United States regulations administered by the Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC). Please email ofacappeal@paypal.com if you have further questions about the review.''

I emailed ofacappeal over a week ago but have not had a response. Has anyone experienced a review of this nature or does anyone know what it may relate to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,289 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If the payment was allowed through (even delayed) they may not consider there is anything to appeal.

• Moderators Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭Spocker

It seems to be an Anti-Money Laundering review - PayPal are obliged as a Financial institution to "know their customer" but without knowing the details of the transactions (and perhaps it shouldn't be posted here) then it's impossible to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

L1011 wrote: »
    If the payment was allowed through (even delayed) they may not consider there is anything to appeal.

That's possible, although I specifically asked in two previous emails to PayPal customer service to explain the reasons for the review or to pinpoint the offending activity, referred to in their response. They refused to offer an explanation but advised to contact ofacappeal@paypal.com, if I needed an explanation.

Obviously, I was interested to know the reasons for this review to ensure that a similar situation was avoided into the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Spocker wrote: »
    It seems to be an Anti-Money Laundering review - PayPal are obliged as a Financial institution to "know their customer" but without knowing the details of the transactions (and perhaps it shouldn't be posted here) then it's impossible to say?

Presumably, they know both in this instance - I am a customer for many years and so is the vendor in this instance. It was a straightforward transaction, involving the purchase of garden equipment spare parts from a well known UK supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Online Buying & Auctions

dudara

• Advertisement
Advertisement