Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor insurance new customer vs existing ones

Options
  • 06-02-2017 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all ,
    I'm currently insured with Allianz but trough a local broker, when I got my renewal in the post , it was quiet high so I decided I wouldn't be renewing, and so I informed the broker I wouldn't be renewing , a few days of shopping around and I got an online quote of the Allianz website itself and it is a lot less than what the renewal amount was . On the websites , it does state that quotes are for new policies only,
    My question is :
    Can I go ahead and purchase that policy even tough technically I was with them but trough a broker ,
    If so would they not have a problem with me supplying an ncb cert that actually comes from themselves?
    Any help here will be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

They may be grumpy about it but sure, sign up and pay. Worst case scenario - they reject the sign-up and refund you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

(a)When it suits Insurers (including Allianz) they make a distinction between a "Broker Policy" and a "Direct Policy".
    (b)If you were to let your cover lapse for just one day would you then be considered a new customer as it would not strictly be a renewal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I had a similar thing happen two years ago with Allianz. Rang up when the new policy quote online was cheaper than my renewal, customer service was not able to reduce my renewal to match the “new” price so they advised me to just take out the new policy with the lower price.

They setup the new policy there and then with no problems, they took all the documents required (driving licence, NCB cert ect..) from the old policy and put them on the new without me having to submit anything.

Advertisement